Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Aftermarket spring/shock recommendations for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket spring/shock recommendations for the street?

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my M030 suspension with something more modern. Would prefer not to go with Koni parts this time around.

1. Does anyone make a good matched kit that can still retain a little comfort for a street driven car?
2. I've seen some coilover-looking shocks for the rear - do most aftermarket setups use these as 'helpers' to the torsion springs, or replace the torsion springs entirely?

Thanks very much for a push in the right direction.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:10 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, Koni is pretty good stuff.

1) Try GAZ from the UK, I have contact there so PM me if you like what you see (DL the catalog)
We are in the process of mounting the remote canister version (GAZ Gold) on 1/3 SP# race cars.
They make a version without.
2) You can go either route, leave torsion intact and spring as a helper or remove torsion bar and use just spring only.
You'd need to define "a little comfort" more clearly before anybody could recommend a F/R spring combo.
I have a set of LEDA non adjustable rear coilover shocks, complete with perch and spring seat, springs for $300 if anybody is interested.
Actually set some track records on these before we moved on to the remote canister types.

T
Old 12-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, appreciate the input!

Guess I was a little hasty in ruling out Koni. If they have something that's a good match I'd certainly consider it. Will check out GAZ & let you know.

If removing the torsion spring completely and relying on the coilover, is there any additional reinforcement needed to the trailing arm mounts or chassis where the top shock mounts attached to support the weight?

In terms of comfort, I'm fine with a bit more NVH than you'd get from a stock setup, don't mind a firm ride but would like it to be a bit more forgiving so that every road imperfection doesn't shake and rattle things. Sounds like I need to do some more homework on that front.

Thanks again for the advice, it's a huge help.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:21 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

KW V3.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket spring/shock recommendations for the street?