Individual throttle system for 944/951

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:40 AM
LHP
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Individual throttle system for 944/951

Thinking about making an individual throttle system for the 951,
Just asking to see if there is enough interest in such a system, it could use the stock fuel rail as well as injectors in the throttles/plenum.
Your feed back appreciated, LHP www.haywardperformance.com
Old 01-30-2004, 01:29 AM
mumzer
Racer

PLEASE...with a sealed plenum a la early 4 cylinder M3 or cosworth!!!!

there is NOTHING on the market with adequate plenum volume and runner shape.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:07 AM
Tony
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 580 Likes on 302 Posts

Just an FYI guys, there is a guy who has just developed and is selling just a kit for the 928. He is workign with TWM...he has the adapater plates made to mate up with the 928 intake ports.

Question is...how diiferent is the 944/951 from the 928 in that respect

Eh...just cut it in half?!?!?

http://www.devek.net/nfo_cars_whitecar.php

HTH

Old 01-30-2004, 02:50 AM
LHP
AutoX

I'm talking about a system for the 8 valve turbo 951 not the 16v/32v engines, a system that will fit under the hood not just adapted weber type throttles, with options of 40m/m to 54m/m throttles and multiple injectors and by the way the 944s and 968 have 2 different port sizes so 2 different adapters for those applications via the devek style system.
It looks good(devek system) but how many porsche guys will cut a hood up to fit it.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Actually, I think that the intake that Tony posted pics of will fit in place without any hood mods. The stock 928S4 intake is pretty tall with respect to the heads/valley.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:39 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony...your killing me, man. Three year old daughter won't let me advance the page because of Bruce the shark.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:38 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LHP,

Its great to see that your considering this upgrade for the 951. I would suggest crossposting this to the racing forum as well if you havent already done so. The race modified 951's crowd with cam/head/exhaust work and engine management systems would be well placed to take avantage of multi throttle systems straight away. On the street modified 951 scene there are also decent head, cam/ exhaust and aftermarket ECU options as well so a multi throttle body system is a logical progression beyond that.

Personally from a track reliability standpoint I like to see options out there that enable our engines to produce power and torque more efficiently at any given level of boost. I think multi throttle bodies would help in that department.

Are you estimating pricing at around $2000 ?

Last edited by OZ951; 01-30-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What would be the projected cost of the system?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Nope, The pics from Tony won’t fit under the 944 hood. How do I know? I am working on a couple of set ups for the 16v turbo project. The first draft of the CNC design is looking good. It is a very tight fit to get it under the hood and have clearance for good sized turbos and that wonderful oil separator!
Just a a bit of history – Jon Milledge has had a single throttle per runner system out there for a while. Its pretty much a race only and its quite expensive….but it is the ‘best you can do’ set up. I am aiming for a more cost effective approach.
The other interesting benefit – the throttle bodies that I am using have an injector port – I am going to use this additional port to use a set of stock injectors to run an alcohol / water injection system to be controlled by the Tec3. I will be able to tune the injector by load and rpm….should be fun!

Chris White
Old 01-30-2004, 11:26 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Tony
Question is...how diiferent is the 944/951 from the 928 in that respect
If looks can kill then this setup gets the prize. Goes without saying for track application this idea is terrific. Question is for high performance street use, moderate RPMs, how much horsepower/torque gained for price invested? However if money was no object I wouldn't care one way or other because it does look great!
Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 PM
LHP
AutoX

Default 951 ITB's

The 928s4 market is fairly small as is the 944s2/968 which have larger ports than the 928(a lot larger).
So this system could be used on the 951 with a plenum which bolts on to the top of the throttles, I'm prototyping parts for this right now/will fit all the other applications I offer as well. What I'm thinking of is a system that uses the stock fuelrail in stock position with individual runners/throttles per port and staying under the hood so people don't have to mod the hood,cost aprox for N.A.
$1750.oo usd, for turbo application aprox $2200.oo usd with plenum.
What do you people think, some feed back please.
All intake systems would require an aftermarket ECU.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:51 PM
mumzer
Racer

what about the throttle linkage? is the intent to use a single connection point and bellcranks for the additional throttles, or a single throttle shaft and single conventional acutator?

fabbing a throttle/ pedal is a big hassle...the ability to retain a stock unit would be a major help...

to the extent its possible i would encourage you to take the modular approach that would allow the user to change the flange from 2v to 4v configuration...i think that the upgrade path might take people to the manifold first, and then on to 4v heads as an evolution...to the extent that this is odne (probably on a944 not 968) the 951 throttle linkage would be good to prototype around.

finally...what kind of sensor for tps do you anticipate...o-5v ford style or an on-off bosch 951 style connection?

thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Ninemeister are already trying this on a 968. The trick I suppose is getting the intercooler pipe back to the intake. I suppose this means we're all going to have to dump our nice straight pipes and buy another one too??

Sounds very cool, but can you put some numbers on the benefits? $2200 is a lot when there are a number of options out there (MAF/MAP, big turbos etc.....)
Old 02-01-2004, 03:44 PM
LHP
AutoX

Default 951 ITB's

The throttle linkage is very good, there are links between the throttles that are very stable and adjustable for syncing the throttles and one of the middle two throttles becomes the master throttle which has the cable pull assembly attached, this cable pull assembly can be attached so as to be pulled from above/ below or from either end of any manifold application, Very adaptable,I'll try to get in a stock manifold so as to make it so the stock cable will hook up to the linkage, so on a 951/944 the linkage would pull from below so as to keep away from the hood, but up from the turbo for clearance and back towards the fire wall.
The 944s2/968 is a completely different port type so making something adapt is not worth while (different manifold needed) port angle to mating surface/ port shape etc, to many comprimises to be effective for both engines, bigger market in the 951/944 engine at this time any way.
The TPS is special as the throttle shaft is D shaped and the throttles have bolt patterns for attachment on either end of the system (shaft wise).
I supply it separate from the intake system. $88.oo usd comes with connection clip etc. (throttle sizes available from 40m/m to 54m/m)
P.S. my own project is a 968 baced engine so some where down the road I'll be doing something for that.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:21 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that would be great. Bring it on! Very soon there is going to be a glut of systems to choose from.

I agree, a system that uses the stock throttle cable, TPS etc. keep the cost down, when the existing parts would work ok.

Quick Reply: Individual throttle system for 944/951