Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Individual throttle system for 944/951

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:38 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw the PD ones today. Individual Butterflies, with the ability to adjust the runner lengths. Pretty cool.

AS for $ 2000K worth, well, you can spend way more to gain something close to the response you gain from this sort of set up.

Its not for everyone, but don't put down something because you cannot afford it, or your too cheap.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

M42racer, though I am sure this will get me kicked off...
Edited

Whether I can afford it or not is a) none of your business and b) irrelevant. Not that it is any of your business but affording it is no problem. I asked what good it was and the answer (at least in part) was that it looked good. My response was basically as cool as it looks it is not 2 grand worth of good looks. Is it 2K worth of throttle response? I obviously didnt know, since I asked the question.

I never put it down, never said it was stupid or a waste, I said that it didnt look 2K worth of cool.

I suggest you try reading.

Lastly, I dont know about anyone else but your absolute barrage of advertising for PD has gone WELL beyond annoying and has entered the realm of paid advertising. I know you have dropped a large sum with them and you are happy but there are plenty of times where it seems like you work for them. Your constant plugging for them and PD this and PD that, JESUS, you would think they were paying you. For as much business as you have brought them they probably should be.

Last edited by Matt H; 02-05-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:05 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by TonyG
Chris White

I picked up quit a bit of power from a stock intake to my ported intake.

TonyG

Tony, Are you referring to the stock intake with the welds on it that appears in some of the pictures you posted? Is it reworked by CMW?

I have been using the same intake for 8 years now, it was reworked by CMW. All it does is equalize the flow. There was no HP or TQ gained based on a before and after tests.

What kind of performance did you gain?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Fast951, I have the same and saw no gains. It is nice to know that the flows are equal.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:27 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you Alan, you saved me the trouble of reflowing and retesting

Next I'll be testing a newly designed intake. It has equal adjustable length runners... And a second intake with seperate throttle bodies..
Old 02-05-2004, 09:55 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

fast951 & Alan C.

That intake made a tad over 20RWHP with the larger throttle body (I never tested the intake w/o the throttle body).

But.. that is with my setup. And there's no guarantee that our intakes are the same just because they were done by the same company.

It's quite easy to see that the internals of my intake (the ports) are definitely larger than stock. Furthermore... with that intake on, I noticed a definite decrease in low end torque off the line.. specifically below 2000 rpms... which is again, due to the fact that the runners are larger.

TonyG
Old 02-05-2004, 09:58 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Matt H

I think I got a PM from you but the email said my inbox was full...

TonyG
Old 02-05-2004, 10:32 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Matt,

You are entilted to your opinions. No you have not p""""ed me off either. I for one commend you for speaking your mind. I admire those that do. This forum is to educate, inform and help. My intentions are honorable, even if some think otherwise. I do feel that many on this forum expect way more than they wish to pay for. Matt, this is why we all have had problems with certain vendors promising and not coming thro. Mostly because we asked for it, but were not prepared to pay for it. That gave them the opportunity to sell us junk!

Sir, I stand behind what I said, even if it did "p''s you off. It was intended to make the point, not any reflection on you.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have edited my rather childish remarks.

I have no problem with your ascertation that this is a rather cheap group. It certainly can be...see my response to someone asking where to get a gauge panel cheaper than 20.00.

I think the problem with vendors not coming through has been us asking for parts from companys which are not financially viable. I.e. they dont have the capital necessary to invest in building a new product. Then when someone does do it, the market has suddenly disappeared.

Products I would love to see:
An intake that did not cost 1K and might be designed close to correct
Control Arms that should cost no more than about 600 a set (really now 650 PER!, gimme a break)
Hard pipes that arent 400 dollars for 10 bucks in metal

I know, you can always build what you want, I have no problem paying for expertise and I have no problem with businesses making money. I DO have a problem with people selling 200 dollar injectors for 400+ dollars, see the difference?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:22 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Matt,

Me too! Most of the time, the cost of the part never seems to reflect what we are getting in return for our $. Included are the costs of designing, developing/testing and manufacturing, and lastly profit. We all know this. The good vendors get thrown in with the bad ones. We look at ALL the products that come along with same cynicism. Then along comes some really good vendors who treat us with respect, value the "Grassroots" level of the Porsche world, and offer to develop parts that are usually offered only to the high end crowd. One or two of these vendors are sometimes involved in high levels of racing, which carries through in their products. When we have all been starved of these sorts of products, we tend to get excited and become very vocal about these new vendors and their products. I certainly have. My intention is to let people know, not to promote any Company or their products. If the appearance looks otherwise, I apoligise. I have always suggested we all question and take nothing for granted. Not doing this in the past has got many, me included into the wrong upgrade.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

BTW – just so you know – most road racers are ‘cheap’ by definition!! You don’t last too many seasons unless you are cost conscious.
Its all cost vs worth calculations!

Chris White
Old 11-18-2004, 06:10 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

are the ITBs out for the 951 yet?BUMP!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is shakin' on ITB front?

Mumzer,
What are you doing manifold-wise for your waCk mOtor biotch.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:39 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

I've got a individual throttle body intake for a 8V 944 turbo that will fit under the hood w/o any modifications other than the oil filler (which is in the way).

I'm getting ready to test it on a 2.8L 951 next week. Results should be interesting.

I'll update you.

TonyG
Old 11-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LHP: Where in BC are you located?

i'd love to drop by your shop

Cheers
Rich

Quick Reply: Individual throttle system for 944/951