Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Individual throttle system for 944/951

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 12:34 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LHP

Here's what I want for my new engine... ready?

Tapered runners straight to a low profile throttle bodies, straight up to a tapered intercooler plenum.

I want the intercooler to reside where the intake manifold sits currently.

How's that sound?

TonyG
Old 02-02-2004, 12:44 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Maybe you could do something with this? ( go to http://www.tonygarcia.org/plenum.html for actual pictures )

I made this up for the original 968 supercharger kit (the first) which was produced by Huntley Racing.

TonyG
Old 02-04-2004, 02:42 AM
LHP
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITB's for 951

Any other input for me on this subject of individual throttles for the 951,
Old 02-04-2004, 04:05 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

tony, wouldn't that be an AWEFULLY hot place to put the IC?? I understand it sitting on top of a 930's engine since that's in the air-flow path, but unless you had some odd, vented hood w/ ducting ala a wrx or rx7 etc, well, i can't see that being functional...

or am i TOTALLY missing the point (likely )?
Old 02-04-2004, 05:07 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

dmoffitt

>>>wouldn't that be an AWEFULLY hot place to put the IC??<<<

Not if the turbo is not there.

And.... even it if was, if you have it insulated like I do there is almost zero heat given off.

My plan is to move the turbo to in front of the engine, have the complete intercooler/intake setup where the intake resides now, and vent through the intercooler out through the hood via loovers outward.

TonyG
Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 PM
superjet.1
Pro

Well boys im in the process of building and marketing our PD-4 throttle body intake its all hand made no reworked stock manifold .Will have 4 butterfly throttle bodys 4 individual intake runners that will be removable so you can use different length intakes to support your cars individual needs. will fit under the hood and to the stock intercooler and under$2000!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 06:10 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics now!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:43 AM
LHP
AutoX

At that price, I don't know, I want to see them too.
LHP www.haywardperformance.com
Old 02-05-2004, 10:44 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by LHP
At that price, I don't know, I want to see them too.
LHP www.haywardperformance.com
I think i 'd be willing to pay some price premium in consideration of prior experience and the non-trivial benefits that can bring. Innovation and new products are wonderful things but there have been and continue to be occasions where products are brought to the market that are not thoroughly developed & tested.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:09 PM
superjet.1
Pro

will have pics in about 2 weeks wanna show it off in finished form.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

BTW – I just thought I would share some interesting info that I pick up putting together my project. The port to port spacing of a 944 head (any kind) is the same as the good old Weber IDA carbs. TWM induction makes some pretty slick throttle bodies based on this spacing, these can be used as a basis for the pretty nice set up. The catch is that you need to come up with a custom intake to mount the throttle bodies. Not a big deal with the 951 and 8v NA heads – the intake p[orts are round so a little welding and you are there. The 16v heads are oval ports and you have to come up with the design that goes from oval to round in 3 or 4 inches while making a bend. That makes it a tad more interesting!
I am making up some CNC milled aluminum manifolds to do this, of course the market is so small (16v turbos!) that there might not be any real interest, but what the hell – this is for my track car and I might as well make up a set for the 3.1 liter 16v turbo street / test mule car.
It might be a little while to get these made up, the CNC guy I use it taking it one as a ‘fun’ project and it will be done in spare time – other wise the R&D would get really expensive.
The other ‘fun’ thing that is in the plans for the TWM throttle bodies is to use the injector port in the TB for a water/alcohol injection system based on fuel injectors run by the Tec3. The water will have to have a reasonable alcohol level to keep the injectors happy.

Sometimes I wish I didn’t have this urge to design stuff….but then I just listen to the voices in my head!

Chris White

PS – if this works out as planned the cost will end up in the 2K range – but I don’t know if I want to bother adding it to the other stuff I deal with.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The question that has been asked a number of times but not answered is what are the benefits and possible power outcomes?
Old 02-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Um… it looks cool?

The real benefits are quicker throttle response and better mid RPM range power. For those looking for the big HP number, sorry this is not a dyno bragging rights project.

Because the plenum is not in vacuum when off throttle there is less volume to pressurize when the throttles are opened. I have heard from others using a single throttle plate per cylinder system that they have realized up to a 50 hp gain in the mid rpm range.
My track car project is using a fairly large turbo (Garret GT35R) and the quick response and free breathing will help to ‘fill in’ the lower end power curve.

Besides – it looks cool!

Chris White
Old 02-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks real cool!! I dont think it looks 2K worth of cool however (though it just might if that 928 is any indication!!!).

Thanks, I know I wasnt the only one asking that question.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:27 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Chris White

It can be a top end power gainer... depending on the engine and what the existing intake manifold is at that time....

I picked up quit a bit of power from a stock intake to my ported intake.

Will it make more power than my ported intake? Maybe, maybe not, but it's not gonna lose power. And as you said... the throttle response is light years better with the individual throttles.

TonyG

Quick Reply: Individual throttle system for 944/951