Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

PVC Intercooler Pipe v0.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 01:22 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NZ951

Do you mean a spray on the intercooler externally, or to simply inject water into the intercooler?

For conventional water injection, which I have yet to play with, it's pretty simple in that the water or water/alcohol mix is injected into the intercooler pipe before the throttle body.

I'm not sure what advantage there would be to inject it into the intercooler plenumn... But I can think of several disadvantages of doing it that way (the first is the water distribution... which is the biggie).

TonyG
Old 01-28-2004, 01:23 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Tom M'Guinn

>>>Where are you picking up the pressure for the wastegate?<<<

The compressor is tapped for a 1/8" NPT nipple (typical of Garretts). It's taken off there.

TonyG
Old 01-28-2004, 01:55 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm what about a tank of water that sites where the IC is and you get bubbles of air pressured through the water and rise to the top and that residue gets drawn into the manifold? Something like that?
Old 01-28-2004, 02:09 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

NZ951

Not nearly enough water to do anything....

Real water injection systems are injecting quite a bit of water or water/alcohol mix directly into the air stream... It's this water or water mix that cool down the intake charge dramatically.

Plus I don't totally understand your proposed design. Could you clarify?

TonyG
Old 01-28-2004, 02:17 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm what about a tank of water that sites where the IC is and you get bubbles of air pressured through the water and rise to the top and that residue gets drawn into the manifold? Something like that?
Sounds pretty close to an Air/Water intercooler with a twist. That's an interesting Idea, but that wouldn't yeild enough water vapor to serve the water injection purpose. And with the huge air flow coming from the turbo you would probably spray all the water into the outlet pipe of the box and hydrolock the engine.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:22 AM
NZ951
Race Director

I would clarify if I had a clue... Just throwing ideas out there.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:52 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

TonyG-

That is pretty cool looking. How expensive is that by the foot? Can you buy at normal hardwar/plumbing stores?

I found this site from a manufacturer of CPVC. They have some DOs and DONTs for their CPVC. Here is the link: http://www.corzancpvc.com/designSpec...n/dosDonts.asp .

Notice the heating and cooling warnings and the warning about pressuring with air. How much pressure does the IC pipe see? Is it nothing more than the boost pressure? Do you think that is an insignificant amount of pressure for this? I know that a friend of mine made an air pressure potato gun from white PVC (40 or 80??) and he would push pressures up to 80-100psi. I do know that those systems explode with some pretty nasty shrapnel.

Has anybody thought about the potential for breakdown of the plastic and the fumes entering the combustion chamber?

Just some thoughts, but thanks for being the Guinea pig on this one!

Max
Old 01-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That pipe sees boost+10psi MAX, well within any safety limits of the material as it'll never top 40psi. If the plastic outgasses at all from the heat, the volatiles will burn in the chamber readily, and it'll only happen the first few heat cycles in minimal amounts.

Sam
Old 01-28-2004, 01:11 PM
AlexE
Pro

Thanks Tony...

Home Depot is never going to look the same to me again.... first we had home depot boost controllers, turbo coolant line adapters and now intercooler pipes.......

...I am sure I can find a bigger turbo in there.... just have to look real carefully...... Maybe that Blacker Decker Leaf Blower ? No wait thats been done.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Beutiful!
Now I know how I can test the header type inlet (see other post) at minimal cost.
Thank you Tony
Old 01-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CPCV has a rated service temp is 210F, softening temp is 295F and it becomes Viscous at 375F. Max temp of the turbo air discharge should be around 250F.
With a K26 turbo and stock intercooler, turbo outlet temp. at 15 psi boost is 265-285 degrees. That assumes a 4 psi pressure drop across the intercooler (19 psi at turbo outlet.) Garrettts will run a few degrees cooler. This is a good idea and the pipe is certainly cheap, but I think you will be running near the ragged edge of CPVC durability. Maybe carry spares?
Old 01-28-2004, 02:54 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

What might happen is that prolonged high temp from boost could soften the pipe enough that the clamps holing it to the silicone could actually start to sqeeze the pipe down, and it might blow out of the clamp.

But we will see when Tony gives it the full test.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The worst thing that will happen is it could crack or pop off, in which case the engine will bog down and die very quickly.

Cool idea, hope it works, I'd like to try it for fun too.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:37 PM
NZ951
Race Director

What about heat shielding it with a kind of wrap?
Old 01-28-2004, 05:45 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Actually what could be done if necessary would be to coat the inside of the pipes with some sort of heat treatment... which could easily reduce the temps the pipes see.

The other thing not considered is that there is quite a bit of air flow engine the engine compartmenet which will to a degree, pull some heat from the pipes.

I've driven it day two now, and still no problem.

I think if there is an issue, it would not present itself on the street as it's just impossible to keeep the car floored long enough for a long enough sustained period to heat the PVC up enough to tell...

I've done a couple of 3rd & 4th gear pulls, which puts you way too fast for the public roads...

The testing will really have to be done on the dyno it looks like.

TonyG

Quick Reply: PVC Intercooler Pipe v0.1