Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

dull paint, anyway to get it shiny again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 02:03 AM
giddyup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dull paint, anyway to get it shiny again?

The paint on my hood is dull and faded. Only noticeable in the sunlight but it looks pretty bad. Rest of the car is shining great. Anything I can do to bring the shine back to it? I tried using a clearcoat paint swirl remover but that was before I knew it was not clearcoated. The thing is that only messed up the hood. I know a couple of the side panels were repainted by the previous owner but not the whole car. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks
Old 01-25-2004, 02:19 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Try here
I'm sure you'll find plenty of info.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:43 AM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsches are clearcoated from the factory and most paint shops repaint with clear, I would be suprised if a body shop didn't clear a Porsche. Maaco is cheap and usually doesn't use clear, I hope they didn't take it there to get a repaint. If the paint is just faded, but not peeling, you can take some 3M compound and some 3M(finesse it) and polish the oxidation out. Body shop supply shops sell this stuff. Wax doesn't polish, it just protects and retains the shine. I know body stuff cause I repainted my '83 944 and took a bodyshop class.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:09 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Chris- Some colors are clear coated, some are not. All metallics are, afaik.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:12 AM
giddyup
Advanced

Chris951, Thanks for the advice, do you mean a 3m rubbing compound first and then the 3m finesse it second? i found the finesse it stuff but what kind of 3m compound are you talking about? do you have the product numbers so i don't buy something i shouldn't and screw it up even more? Thanks again
Old 01-25-2004, 03:14 AM
giddyup
Advanced

i have a 86 turbo with the red paint. is mine clearcoated? i'm not sure how to tell?
Old 01-25-2004, 11:09 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't speak to the metallic paints, but I do know that the red and black are single-stage paints (meaning there is no clear).

As far as removing oxidation, there are alot of products to use. First piece of advice is to use the least abrasive product first and work your way up to something that achieves what you want. Check out autopia.org for info.

I wouldn't dive right into the rubbing compound. 3M stuff is good, but you might try some easier stuff first, like Mequiar's Premium Paint Cleaner . Please note that this must be followed by a wax like the Medallion's Premium Paint Protection. This should remove some oxidation and you can get it at Autozone or whatever local auto parts store you want.

If you want to order a product that works really well, I would suggest Klasse All-in-one (AIO) . It works great and is only slightly more expensive. You can actually use this as your only product and it works better than any other single-step product.

Good luck-
Max

Quick Reply: dull paint, anyway to get it shiny again?