Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 02:02 AM
biggles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help!

I need some help guys. I was looking forward to cranking her up after a couple of weeks of resealing the turbo, installing new hoses under the IM, etc and finally putting it back together today. However, two big problems:1. Starts well, but It is barely idling, about 200 rpms and eventually cuts out. 2. I now have a leak in the head from where the bracket was that held the cyclic valve in place.
I should note that I had to change one of my reference sensors and went with one that I got from a 924 S, could that be an issue? Per the tech guide the cars all use the same part.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, biggles
Old 01-25-2004, 02:23 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

What are you leaking from the head? Coolant?
Old 01-25-2004, 04:03 AM
biggles
Pro

Coolant - Just from where I removed the bracket for the cycling valve.
Biggles
Old 01-25-2004, 02:21 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Now that I remember, one of the bolts is too long once you remove the bracket. The one closest to the front of the engine needs about 1/16 or so grind job. As it is now, without the bracket, you are running the bolt into the end of its hole, thus the feeling of tightening the bolt... But in reality, the water line is not sealing against the block/head. If you look closely before you take the bolt out, you will be able to see the gap I'm talking about.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:29 PM
biggles
Pro

Chris,
Thanks for the feedback. I was just printing an old post of yours. I will try that and see if helps.
Thanks!
Old 01-25-2004, 02:33 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

No problem...
Good luck!
Old 01-25-2004, 02:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, the bolts for the CV need to be removed and shaved, or just add a couple of washers to act as spacers.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:46 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

LOL
Come to think of it, I did just add a few washers. It is funny how your mind will solve the same problem differently in different occurences of the same problem.

About your idling problem, I would guess that you are either getting unmetered air in the system making the engine run super lean, or you are not letting enough air past the throttle plate to allow the engine to run. Do you have an A/F meter? Have you double checked your lines? What exactly did you do when you fixed the "mess" under the intake? Did you remove your ISV? Did you do anything with the idle adj. screw?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz
LOL
Come to think of it, I did just add a few washers. It is funny how your mind will solve the same problem differently in different occurences of the same problem.

About your idling problem, I would guess that you are either getting unmetered air in the system making the engine run super lean, or you are not letting enough air past the throttle plate to allow the engine to run. Do you have an A/F meter? Have you double checked your lines? What exactly did you do when you fixed the "mess" under the intake? Did you remove your ISV? Did you do anything with the idle adj. screw?
Funny how that works. When you are sitting at the computer, you think about grinding down the bolt, maybe chamfering the end nice and pretty. When you are actually in the shop, you search the floor for a washer.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:56 PM
biggles
Pro

Chris,
Could my inlet boot be the problem, not sure but it apparently split when I was installing the connector for the hose coming off the jax bottle . The car was blowing oil all over the place, so I decided to use some posts from the board and reseal the turbo, (did not rebuild) remove the venturi and other tubes since I was already using a MBC , install the new hose plus a Jax bottle (I have rerouted it back to the inlet boot). I did no adjusting, just replacing, including the idle, hopefully the boot is the problem. If not, I will be back for more answers.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:01 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you don't get the crankcase-vent hose mixed up with the idle-air hose. You'll end up pressuring your crankcase and having your turbo suck air out of your intake-manifold.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:39 PM
biggles
Pro

Danno,
Just to be sure, does the crankcase vent hose go to the inlet boot and the IS hose to the intercooler, or do I have them reversed?
Thanks as always
Old 01-26-2004, 11:17 PM
biggles
Pro

Finally changed the bolts in the head, so the leaking coolant problem has been solved. Thanks! However, the idling is still a problem. If the A/F meter is not registering, does that suggest a fuel injection problem? Also, vacuum is only showing 10 PSI. Any feedback would be appreciated as always.
biggles
Old 01-26-2004, 11:38 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Sounds like you are very lean or very rich - I'd bet you are lean...
Check to see no unmetered air is getting in the system - that would cause a lean condition. To test if you are running lean or rich, get a can of starting fluid (arisol can $1.95 at any store - Safeway, Wal-Mart, Autozone, etc.). When the car is trying to idle, spray some into the AFM directly (or on the air filter - if you do it on the filter, you may have to get close to saturating it for it to make a difference). If the engine surges or idles fine, you are running lean.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:40 AM
biggles
Pro

Chris,
Unmetered air?? I am using the Jax can with the filter, going from the crankcase to the catch can, then back to the inlet boot. Could that be a problem?
BTW, thanks on the bolt fix.
biggles

Quick Reply: Help!