Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bad starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 01:08 AM
mrjosh43
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad starter?

I've been tracking down a startup problem, and haven't had any luck so far. I just installed a new coil, dist. cap and rotor today and the car isn't doing anything different. It will turn over but not fire up. I'm going to check connections to the DME tomorrow when I have better light so I can rule that out (hopefully). I installed a new speed sensor and am going to make sure that is adjusted correctly tomorrow. Tonight I also made sure my fuel injectors and coil were getting power, and both were at 12v. Anything else to look out for while I'm at it?
I'm wondering if my starter may be a culprit though. Over the last few weeks as I've worked on the car, the starter seems to struggle to turn the motor. I cranked the engine today manually without much difficulty though. Could the starter be the problem? If so, who has the most reasonable prices on rebuilt starters?

Last edited by mrjosh43; 01-25-2004 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:12 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your engine turns over, starter is not culprit.

Pull out the center wire from your distributor and stick a spark-plug in it. Lay its side on the top of the distributor housing and crank the car. Do you see spark?
Old 01-25-2004, 04:28 AM
mrjosh43
Advanced

Thanks Danno, I'll try that in the morning.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:46 PM
mrjosh43
Advanced

No spark. Is it the reference sensor that is used for ignition? What else should I check?
Old 01-25-2004, 03:53 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Does the tach bounce a little bit when trying to start the car?
If not It could be the ref sensors.

Giggle those crappy connections on the back of the intake manifold.
Its a quick check.

I know you said the injectors were getting power, but are the actually spraying?
Old 01-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Pa_951
Intermediate

it took me 2 days to think to switch the reference/speed sensors when i did the head gasket...i was getting so frustrated. haha
Old 01-25-2004, 05:09 PM
mrjosh43
Advanced

does the tach bounce a little bit when trying to start the car?
I forgot to check that the last few times I've tried to start the car... I think it was last time I was the one turning the key, but I'll check again. I know the speed sensor should have a secure connection as I just replaced it, but I'll double check both speed and ref. sensors.

I know you said the injectors were getting power, but are the actually spraying?
Good question, I was beginning to wonder that myself. What's an easy way to check this? I pulled the #1 spark plug last night to check for spark... I'd think the plug and cyl. should smell like fuel but I couldn't smell any (wasn't really checking for it though).
Old 01-25-2004, 05:25 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mrjosh43

Good question, I was beginning to wonder that myself. What's an easy way to check this? I pulled the #1 spark plug last night to check for spark... I'd think the plug and cyl. should smell like fuel but I couldn't smell any (wasn't really checking for it though).
Hmm, you could probably just stick a paper towel / rag down in the spark plug hole and crank.
It should get wet.

Thats the easiest thing next to pulling the fuel rail.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:21 PM
mrjosh43
Advanced

Well I cranked it over a few times and... tach needle didn't budge. So it looks like something to do with the reference sensor. Is the reference sensor signal also used for the fuel injectors? Anyone have a used but working reference sensor? I'll try the paper towel/rag test just for kicks. I can't wait to get this car on the road again, it's been sitting in the garage for too long!

Quick Reply: Bad starter?