Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 951 control arm failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004 | 10:25 AM
Matthew West
Instructor

Question 1986 951 control arm failure

The control arms on my early offset 951 have failed beyond repair. Points of concern that preclude rebuilding are:
1. Cracked ball joint cups. (2/3 of the depth)
2. Large amount of erosion from the steel caster adjusters. (Looks to have worked loose at some point in the cars past and both sides have "machined" slots from the tab that comes off the eccentric.)

I therefore need to purchase replacement control arms. Since I do not have useable cores the typical rebuild options are out.

1. Price is a primary concern.
2. Something maintainable is preferred.
3. I do not want to down grade in anyway.

Fabcar and Charlie Arms are too expensive for me. As for the early steel arms I am concerned about swaybar pickups and the loss of caster adjustment.

Please help with recommendations and referals to suppliers.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-24-2004 | 11:08 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

You might see if you can locate Mark Blaszak. He makes some steel arms that seem to be a much better deal than the others and they are early offset only (or I'd probably have some now myself, but have moved to late offset for other reasons). He's on the 944 mailing list usually or you can find him at his website below.

His website for his products are here:
http://www.blaszakprecision.com/
Old 01-24-2004 | 12:26 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd get a set of stock aluminum replacements off eBay or on here, and just rebuild those and run with them.

Sam
Old 01-24-2004 | 01:59 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

Marcus want's around $750 can or ~$570 us. By the time I add in shipping and bits, I would think that I would be approaching $650.

For less I can have a local guy, Greg Fordhal, set me up with the modified early steel arms. For a little more Greg has showed me a prototype that is going on one of his track cars in the near future. They look real nice, but I really trying to do this on the cheap.

By all means if someone has a spare set of cores, that can be rebuilt, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mattt
Old 01-27-2004 | 12:05 AM
Matthew West
Instructor

I found a supplier in Excellence that can do rebuilt aluminum ones @ $240 per side without me having cores to trade in.

Is anyone aware of a better deal / solution for an early offset 951?
Old 01-27-2004 | 12:13 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, get a set off eBay and rebuild them. There's a chance the Excellence guy machines the arms and presses in a sealed ball joint, which you cannot rebuild, so once they wear out again you're out another $240 per side. Ebay set will cost under $150 for the pair, another $75 for rebuild, you save money and you can rebuild anytime in the future.

Sam
Old 01-27-2004 | 12:28 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I went with the Blaszak steel arms. They are top quality and very beefy. One of the local PCA stewards looked at them and told me they were essentially the early Fabcar arms. They also allow for caster adjustment since they use the 924S caster blocks.

Quick Reply: 1986 951 control arm failure