Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Old Cat New Inspection Fail!

Old 10-13-2018, 11:38 PM
AirFuelFire
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Cat New Inspection Fail!

Hey guys wondering if I could get your advice on passing the sniff test. Fortunately, I’m not in CA or NY so this should not be too hard. The car is a1988 944 Turbo S which is stock with the exception of the Lindseyracing M tune. This was my dad’s car and the goal is to run it as close to stock as possible just like he did when it was new. It has been a long haul but we have replaced pretty much every seal, bearing, vac line, one can imagine. We think we have eliminated all vac leaks. I know famous last words. But if so then the thirty-year-old cat could have finally given up the ghost. What are my replacement options? If price were no option I would just buy a new one from Porsche but $3700 is a bit much.
  • I’ve seen DEC PO82609B which looks like a bolt on solution listed for $350. However, at that price it makes you wonder how much catalyst is in there and its longevity.
  • Fabspeed has a bolt on option for $695 but it is only a 200cel unit.
  • I guess the 3rd option would be to cut the existing unit out and weld in a new one.
I’m going to try out the Mtune inspection map and see if I can squeak by. Does anyone know how that tune works? I know how to select it with the jumper plug. I’m more interested in what it is doing and how to run the car through the test. I assume I can just take it up on the freeway for some nice and easy limited boost driving for about 30 minutes to get the cat good and hot. Then just run it through the inspection lane?

If this fails then what would you guys suggest for a cat replacement?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old Cat New Inspection Fail!