Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake pad recomendations anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad recomendations anyone?

Looking at replacement pads for my 86. OE, PBR, Mintex? or maybe hawk or padgid? Just looking for some recomendations for street use, they will also see one DE before I buy some track pads.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:17 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

I'm in the same boat.
I've been doing a lot of research, and here's my opinion, based on very little actual experience and lots of reading.
Here's what I'm planning for mine -
1. Steel lines
2. Stock rotors
3. 928 proportioning valve - it increases some of the braking force to the rear. More info in the archives...
4. ATE fluid
5. Pads. Here's the ones that seem popular for our street / track applications -
Pagid Orange, Hawk, Metal Master, Stock, and Performance Friction Z-rated.
Pagids and Hawks are abt $200.00 and up per axle. PF are abt $104.00. I think I'll go with PF.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:30 AM
mumzer
Racer

the pfc hp pad is terrible...its a wonderful compound (PFC 90) that has had a friction modifier added to reduce noise and dust....the side effect is poor pedal feel and non linearity...the pfc 90 is one of the best pads available...

the hpc ...well....it isnt very dusty.... for a good street pad id use the ebc offerings...they are color coded, if memory serves, youll want the red pad for street use.

available from tire rack and very reasonably priced.

i should poke around my trailer...i may have a used set you could mess around with.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:10 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Metal Masters SUCK, they're the worst pad I've EVER used. They fade after one hard application of the brakes from 100ish, terrible. Also, Hawk pads run about $110, not $200 and up. HP+ would be a street pad that's dusty, slightly noisy, and relatively hard on the rotors, in other words an OK track pad! Pagid oranges are very good pads, but they're expensive.
Ahmet
Old 01-23-2004, 02:24 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Ahmet, there are several different companies that offer metal master pads. I'm sure that PBR metal masters are a different compound that the axxis that you run, etc.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:33 AM
sayporsha
Pro

I have Pagid Orange pads on my 951 that sees a combination of street/track use. I absolutely love them. Incredible stopping power & very linear. Absolutely no fade. I think some gas slotted or drilled rotors would improve their performance even more.

The problems are cost, noise and dust. However, the noise went completely away after I rotated them front/back half way through their wear cycle. I thought it would return after they re-bedded themselves, but they're still quiet.

If there's a less expensive pad that performs as well, I'm willing to try it. I'll be watching this thread closely.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Just don't make the same mistake... I haven't heard anything positive about metal masters from anybody who's ran a pagid or a hawk...

PS: According to the car quest guy (german town) PBR just purchased axxis. According to eurospeed axxis has some descent stuff. I will not ever touch any of that crap w/a 10 foot pole, regardless.
Ahmet
Old 01-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay I've tried stock junk, Pagid Orange, Hawk HP's and HP Plus. My opinion is the HP plus hands down. The orange were very loud on the street, the HP's has some fade and didn't seem to bite well when cold, and the Plus'es have about 10000 track minutes on them, 1 year of street use and they have never faded, rarely squeak, and have about 80% of the meat left on them. They are very dusty though and if you let it build up too long they will squeak a bit. They're also cheaper then the Pagids.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:30 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Hawk pads on my first Mustang 5.0. It went from being a car that would fade stock pads in one 60-0 attempt to a car that you couldn't fade them out on at all. They did seem to be a bit dusty, however being that they seemed to be sacrificing themselves for the sake of the rotor. My rotors were baby smooth after using a set of them and I put another set on after that as I was very impressed.

I found them for about or just over $80 per axle. About $160 for the whole car for the street pads. That's what I was very much thinking about when it comes time for mine to get changed.

Add stainless lines and flush and fill with some good brake fluid and I'll be a very happy 951 driver....until I can afford Big Reds
Old 01-23-2004, 09:57 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I tried all sort of pads. For track only, I use the Hawk Blue, great pads.

For the street I use Metal Master, they are fine...

For track use, if you are a novice/new driver, do not get a very high torque pad, you will be overslowing the car. Start with stock pads, and upgrade gradually as your learning progress.

Someone told me that you can get PF street/mild track pads at Auto Zone that worked well for street & track and they have a life time warranty
Old 01-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Some good advice here. On my BMW, for my last couple DEs in that car I ran Carbotech's panther xp silver. I can not say enough good things about that pad! Wow. For the 944, i am leaning towards hp+
Old 01-23-2004, 10:58 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I recently tried a set of EBC greens for the street. I think there great. Very responsive went cold. Very similar to stock. When heated up they respond like a race pad with more grip. Very little brake dust and quite. They also offer full race pads and I think there a German product.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

never tried the EBC pads on the 944 but a buddy of mine ran them on track in his 300zx. He said that there was noticable fade and also that by the end of the first day (4, 30 min sessions) the pads were completely gone and he had to go to autozone and finish the day on some AZ lifetime pads
Old 01-23-2004, 11:16 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawk blues - love them, and I just bought another set from Paragon for my race car(that's right, they have them). Otherwise, I 100% agree with Ahmet.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Turbo_Ed
Intermediate

I have the Hawk HP+ and I love them. After I bedded them in I was having so much fun threshhold braking, when I got back to my buddies house we noticed my rear rotors were turning purple. I still never felt any fade though. The only complaint I have is they sqeel under light-moderate braking. Dust doesn't bother me because wash my car to much. I think I may try out those noise inserts one of these days.

Hey Jeremy, did you do anything special so they don't squeel?

Quick Reply: Brake pad recomendations anyone?