Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bar Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bar Gauge

On my 951 I never see the bar move on the Bar gauge. The car runs totally fine, but that line never moves. I've read it's really not to be trusted, but I've also not heard where it doesn't move at all. How can I troubleshoot that?
Old 10-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Read the theory of operation in this thread, which should give you a start on troubleshooting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...e-control.html

To over-simplify, either the KLR is not producing the right voltage signal, the gauge/cluster isn't working, or the connection in between isn't good...
Old 10-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

Wow, thanks. I had a read through and that is a bit too complicated for where I'm at mechanically on this stuff. I'll continue polking around.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Ah sorry. Maybe start by checking to confirm that the bright red square 4-wire connector in the right passenger footwell is plugged in (it's behind the carpet and floorboard toward the console side). If you have a later car with an oil level warning light, it will be a flat black 8-wire connector in the same location instead. Either way, that connector carries the boost signal from the computers to the gauge. Are all the other gauges working right?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

Yes, all the others seem fine for the most part.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

If there were something wrong would I feel engine performance degradation? I was told if there were something wrong with the turbo the car would barely move.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Petilli
If there were something wrong would I feel engine performance degradation? I was told if there were something wrong with the turbo the car would barely move.
There's no truth to the last statement. You would have much less power, but the car would likely start and drive just fine, albeit without any boost, if the turbo was bad. As for whether you'd know if something is wrong, it totally depends on what's wrong. Some problems actually result in increased power, so seat of the pants is not really a good indicator. Best best is to figure out why the gauge isn't working.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:17 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the gauge move from it's off position (far left) to the 1 bar mark when you turn the key on engine off? Id try a loaner klr swap and see if it fixes it. It's either a bad klr vac hose which is the clearish plastic one running to the manifold, bad klr, or bad guage/ cluster. The wiring is probably ok unless someone cut a wire for some reason.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

It never moves, even on startup and is the only gauge that doesn't work. I'll try and locate that hose as a starting point. Yea, kind of odd that's the only thing not working. I only know of the radio being changed out by the previous owner, but not sure if that wiring is near this stuff.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:44 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It never moves, even on startup and is the only gauge that doesn't work. I'll try and locate that hose as a starting point. Yea, kind of odd that's the only thing not working. I only know of the radio being changed out by the previous owner, but not sure if that wiring is near this stuff.
Im going to guess it's a bad cluster. Even when my klr was on it's way out I still got jumbled readings.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

And of course, a cluster is very expensive.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

If the klr hose is disconnected or bad, the gauge would read 1 with the ignition on, and sit dead with the ignition off -- so that's not likely your problem. Either the gauge/cluster is bad, or it is not getting any signal/ground from the KLR/harness. Does your car have an oil level sensor and is it working?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

Yes- I did get an oil indicator, which I did need to add a quart of oil a while back. In addition to that I have an oil pressure gauge, which I think works for the most part. stays up near 5 and eventually will level off and go back and forth.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Yes- I did get an oil indicator, which I did need to add a quart of oil a while back. In addition to that I have an oil pressure gauge, which I think works for the most part. stays up near 5 and eventually will level off and go back and forth.

Right, so that means you have the flat black 8-pin connector in the footwell, rather then the red square 4-pin version, and the boost gauge wire is *probably* blue, rather than red/white like on earlier cars. If you find that connector, and have a multimeter, I can help you diagnose the issue.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

awesome, much appreciated. I'll let you know when I locate the connector.

Quick Reply: Bar Gauge