SFR Tial 46mm Waste Gate Spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SFR Tial 46mm Waste Gate Spring

Does anyone know what size spring comes in the SFR 46mm Tial Waste Gate. I'm trying to troubleshoot an overboost condition using the AVC-R.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:29 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Tim
Old 01-21-2004, 07:42 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Just turn the AVC-R off then you can tell if you have the waste gate hooked up properly and what the spring rate is.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:01 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>Just turn the AVC-R off then you can tell if you have the waste gate hooked up properly and what the spring rate <<<

Incorrect.

You would have to disconnect both lines to the wastegate to use that type of test.

Turing the AVC-R off, results in no signal being sent to the side of the wastegate that causes it to stay shut... but the signal to the other side of the wasteagate that causes it to open would be still receiving a signal, thus the result of the test would be inaccurate, and give a much lower reading.

TonyG
Old 01-21-2004, 08:12 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

So then I hooked up my AVC-R wrong?
I thought you were suppose to hook the side port to a T from the banjo bolt then hook the top to the output of the AVC-R?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:42 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I just checked the paper that came with the 38mm Tail I have and it is suppose to be hooked up like I said. I saw posted that if you just run the banjo bolt straight to the side port the unit will work at whatever spring rate you have in the waste gate. So if that is correct then what I said would be correct also.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:21 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

tazman

Nobody said you hooked up your wastegate incorrectly. I have no idea how you plumbed your wastegate, nor is it relevant to the question that was asked.

The wastegate spring rate, which is what the original questions was asked, is the measure of the wastegates ability to hold boost (or rather resist opening against the exhaust back pressure) without a boost controller.

If you apply pressure to any one side of the wastegate or both to any degree, then the results of your proposed "test" are not applicable as you have changed one way or the other, the actuation of the wastegate.

Thus what I said is 100% correct.

How you plumbed your wastegate, or which is the proper way to plumb a wastegate is a different question altogether.

TonyG
Old 01-22-2004, 01:43 AM
MySwiss
Pro

Tazman, You are correct.

The spring pressure can be tested, by only connecting the Tial side port to the intercooler banjo bolt(manifold pressure). Once the manifold pressure has reached the maximum presure that the Tial spring can hold, it will start to open, and that will indicate to you, what spring is in your Tial.

This will only work, if the Tial top port is not connected and bypassing the cycling valve or any restriction in the banjo bolt(jet).

Appliying manifold pressure to the Tial top port, bleeding(or blocking) the signal to the side port, or a combination of the two. Will allow the wastegate to stay shut and therefore give you innaccurate results, as to what spring is in there.

Hope this helps
Old 01-22-2004, 01:48 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

MySwiss

That is not correct. Applying pressure to the side of the wastegate to cause it to open is not the test of the wastegate spring.

For many reason, but the main reason is that pressure to the side of the wastegate that causes the valve to open will cause not allow the valve to say shut as constant pressure is applied to the valve.

Example: I have a 1 bar spring in my Tial 46mm. If I only have the side of the port connected that opens the wastegate connected straight to the high pressure side of the intake tract (in this case the banjo bolt) I will only see 10psi - 10.5 psi boost (yet the spring is infact the 1 bar (15psi) spring).

TonyG
Old 01-22-2004, 02:27 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Most of the wastegates we sell come with a .8 bar spring (which is what we reccomend for most applications). If you want to know for sure..... you will need to remove the spring and check the color. Take care.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:11 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Just ask the guy you bought it from.

(only 23 more posts )
Old 01-22-2004, 04:13 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Unless of course you bought it from me, then I haven't a clue!

And, you did...

( only 22 more posts )
Old 01-22-2004, 07:10 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol. got me a porsha..........post *****.lol

wait a minute! I am not posting any helpful info either......uhh well I always wondered why they left money afterward
Old 01-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Thanks for the help. I was guessing it was an .8 bar spring so thanks Tim. The guy your originally sold it to was a moron and I'm sure didn't know there was even a spring in it. My plan was to remove the lines to test the pressure and fit a manual controller temporarily.

The AVC-R manual is the worst thing I've ever read (besides some of the polls around here). Anyone interested in trading for a Profec-B non spec 2?

Got Me a Porsha - That implies that I've paid for it? I'm thinking fair market car storage fees = 1 Tial 46mm WG ! BTW, I need a new rack so you better start sleeping in your car. Yup, you're a Post Ho.

Again, thanks for your help and not killing each other.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

The guy your originally sold it to was a moron and I'm sure didn't know there was even a spring in it.
Don't be so hard on yourself...the guys you hang out with think you're kinda smart.

As far as you needing a new rack, I've told you for years if you'd get a nice pair on your back I'd marry you; but until then-

QUIT TAKING PARTS OFF MY CAR!!!

Quick Reply: SFR Tial 46mm Waste Gate Spring