Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR Tial 46mm Waste Gate Spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Jeremy, would you be interested in splitting shipping on the AIR splitters?

Sam
Old 01-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Sam Lin
Hey Jeremy, would you be interested in splitting shipping on the AIR splitters?

Sam
Sure, find out what the price is either way to see if it's worth it. We can have them shipped to my house. When are you in town again?

KP, there goes your tranny........ I need a little more bling on my car so I'll just borrow some off of yours. If you're nice I may even give you a free set of tires.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Jeremy...

"BLING BLAU" You the KING OF BLING dawg. That "nine fouty fou" of yours is ICED baby!

All this time I thought laptops, displays, chips, "scramble", three-stage nawz and riveted aluminum floor panels (In your case, wood) were only in the movies...

It's yo birthday, uh huh!

Last edited by Got Me a Porsha; 02-04-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Got Me a Porsha
[B] All this time I thought laptops, displays, chips, "scramble", three-stage nawz and riveted aluminum floor panels (In your case, wood) were only in the movies...

Bagging on the wooden floor board hey? There goes the car cover. Anyone need black 951 body parts???????? I'm going to go home, take a picture of your AVC-R location and post it. We'll see what BLING is all about.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do tell, where is the AVCR mounted?

BTW - I will second the manual, Jeremy if you need I have some pretty good instructions for the AVCR from another lister (OZ951) if you would like to have them.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeremy, next return is early March for me for Spring Break. What's your e-mail again? Sure, I'll convert my red 944 to a black 951.

Sam
Old 01-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Matt H
Do tell, where is the AVCR mounted?

BTW - I will second the manual, Jeremy if you need I have some pretty good instructions for the AVCR from another lister (OZ951) if you would like to have them.
Think rear view mirror baby....... I have to say that Got Me a Porsha did not mount it there, the previous owner did (but I think he likes it a little). He also changed all of the vacuum hose to silver, and let the whole exhaust vent to atmosphere. The list goes on and on...... (Sorry KP but I'm just joking with you. You're still the only guy I can say that I've built, raced, and and almost died in a car with but we won't discuss that here)

Matt, I read OZ's manual but it seems that I still can not get appropriate boost control after messing with all of the parameters. I need to trouble shoot the WG first but if you don't mind I may contact you to borrow some of your set-up numbers to get a decent baseline.

Sam, My e-mail is Jeremy.himsel@belden-cd.com. I don't know if you know this or not but they (those bastard county commissioners) shut down Arizona Motorsports Park. so write them a letter.

Black 951 conversion? Sounds like a group buy may be coming on Got Me a Porsha's parts
Old 01-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeremy - you can call me whenever you like but since the car doesnt run I might not be able to help you. You can PM OZ, he is still using one and has loads of experience with them.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:47 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TonyG
tazman

Nobody said you hooked up your wastegate incorrectly. I have no idea how you plumbed your wastegate, nor is it relevant to the question that was asked.

The wastegate spring rate, which is what the original questions was asked, is the measure of the wastegates ability to hold boost (or rather resist opening against the exhaust back pressure) without a boost controller.

If you apply pressure to any one side of the wastegate or both to any degree, then the results of your proposed "test" are not applicable as you have changed one way or the other, the actuation of the wastegate.

Thus what I said is 100% correct.

How you plumbed your wastegate, or which is the proper way to plumb a wastegate is a different question altogether.

TonyG
I was not trying to imply you said I did something wrong. I hooked mine up and I did not run it yet so I wanted to make sure I didn't have it hooked up wrong.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The spring pressure can be tested, by only connecting the Tial side port to the intercooler banjo bolt(manifold pressure). Once the manifold pressure has reached the maximum presure that the Tial spring can hold, it will start to open, and that will indicate to you, what spring is in your Tial."

MySwiss, you're right on.

"MySwiss

That is not correct. Applying pressure to the side of the wastegate to cause it to open is not the test of the wastegate spring."

So what IS the correct procedure for testing the wastegate spring?

"Example: I have a 1 bar spring in my Tial 46mm. If I only have the side of the port connected that opens the wastegate connected straight to the high pressure side of the intake tract (in this case the banjo bolt) I will only see 10psi - 10.5 psi boost (yet the spring is infact the 1 bar (15psi) spring)."

You have a 10.5psi spring then. The spring-rating is the pressure at which that pressure in the boost-side of the diaphragm causes the wastegate-valve to start to open. This pressure also coincides with the desired boost-level. If you have a 15psi spring, then 15psi in the diaphragm is just where it barely starts to open the valve. At 16psi, it opens the valve further and dumps boost. Boost then drops to 15psi and the wastegate closes. Due to momentum, the turbo slows down a bit more and you get 14psi before it starts to work its way up again. At 15psi, the wastegate barely opens and at 16psi, it dumps some boost. This is a mechanical feedback loop with 15psi centered in the open-close extremes. The result is that a spring that responses to 15psi boost-pressure and maintains the feedback cycle centered around 15psi is called a "15psi" or "1-bar" spring.

This goes back to the old days of mechanical boost-regulation before adjustable boost-controllers and dual-port wastegates (which can be operated in single-port mode). A line is run from the banjo-bolt on the intercooler directly to the pressure-port on the wastegate diaphragm. Boost-pressure then counter-acts the spring-tension holding the valve shut. At some pressure, the force on the diaphragm overcomes the spring-tension holding the valve closed. You would then swap in springs of various rates to adjust your desired boost level; the stiffer the spring, the more boost/diaphragm pressure is needed to open the valve & vice-versa. This "15-psi" or "1-bar" rating on the spring is not the spring-rate, it's just a rating that says, "when used in such & such a wastegate, this spring will result in X-psi boost when boost is fed directly into the diaphragm." This avoids messy calculations with pressure-to-force equations based upon the number of square-inches on the diaphragm multiplied by boost-pressure, etc...

Also, never, ever test full-throttle on a wastegate that has had its control lines removed. While this can be a test of the wastegate's spring clamping ability against exhaust pressure, you must test it gradually with several runs with increasing boost. Even with a stock 951 wastegate with stock turbo, disconnecting the control line can easily result in 25-28psi of max-boost in the mid-range...

Last edited by Danno; 01-23-2004 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:46 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur, My tial 38 has a 10 psi spring, with no boost regulation and the side port connected, I get exactly 10psi..............

Quick Reply: SFR Tial 46mm Waste Gate Spring