cat bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:16 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem......

lol. I just thought of something. With all of the video's I have up I am like a walking advertisement for lindsey racing.lol. Oh well dave deserves it. He has been nothing but, helpful and nice to me. Like I said in another thread I will be going to him when I want the new motor.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:58 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I also have the full Lindsey 3" ceramic coated mild steel exhaust. Its VERY nice.

Regards,
Old 01-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Doc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the Bursch "coating" does come off pretty easy. ...If you want to call it a coating, it appears to be nothing more than gloss black lacquer paint.

Frankly this is of no concern to me since you almost never get on your knees and look under the car. The only person who will know if you go with a SS exhaust is you and your mechanic.

My thinking was, there are MILLIONS of cars on the road with steel exhaust and they all seem to work (wear) just fine. Worst-case scenario, if it were to rust out, I could buy 2-3 Bursch pipes for the cost of one SS test pipe... I'll take my chances.

As for a 3 inch vs. 2.5 inch exhaust, keep in mind, the cross-over pipe (leading to the turbo) and the turbo down-pipe will NOT be 3 inches unless you replace the turbo with one with a 3 inch outlet requiring a 3 inch down-pipe which are not easy to come by nor would I imagine are they cheap.

In short, the money and time involved with upgrading to a "true-complete" 3 inch SS system will net you *minimal* gains over a steel 2.5 inch bolt-on test pipe. (Such as the Bursch)

Personally I'd save the extra thirteen-to-eighteen hundred odd dollars and 20 odd hours of install. For that kind of money and time I could think of plenty of other mods with a greater net-gain worth investing in. But then hey... that’s just me.

P.S. If I were to consider a complete 3-inch SS system, I would INSIST on a dyno chart comparing it to a 2.5 mild steel test-pipe with a comparable turbo and muffler.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Doc,

I see what you're saying. But, I don't think anyone can go wrong with lindseys setup. A full 3 inch exhaust system with a pipe for the wastegate for a few bucks little over 550 bucks . There's not a better deal out there. I'm sure there is a slighly noticeable difference in performance, because John seems to think so.

I think my best bet is to go for the lindsey set.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
AlexE
Pro

...on a side note...

Does the bursch pipe bolt up to the sfr cat back?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I have a question about the lindsey system. It says to order the muffler seperately. Does that mean that I pay for that system, plus the muffler? If that's the case, then it's more like 1000 dollars. not 550
Old 01-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Originally posted by porshhhh951
no problem......

lol. I just thought of something. With all of the video's I have up I am like a walking advertisement for lindsey racing.lol. Oh well dave deserves it. He has been nothing but, helpful and nice to me. Like I said in another thread I will be going to him when I want the new motor.
John, How much did you spend on the entire exhaust?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:27 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said earlier...someone in the neigborhood of 800 bucks. Although I was buying lots of thing's at once...so dave hookup it up. I could never see spending 1300.00 to 1500.00 on a exhaust system...my steel one is working just fine.Oh silver I run the flowmaster muffler....yes you will need to buy a muffler seperate. Although if it is a track car I wouldn't. I bought the muffler....but, didn't get a cat installed. Like I said it was in the neighborhood of 800 bucks...maybe a little more for tax. Some people can think whatever they wish about the full system vs the test pipe only option...but, I noticed a huge difference in hp when replacing the system.....now how much of that is the test pipe and how much of it is the rest who know's. I think it is a combination of both. If you want to just replace one section of your exhaust that is fine. I decided to do it once and be done with it. It work's great and looks fine. I mean no one looks under there anyways.....I don't need the bling bling ss exhaust...and prolly never will.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:44 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

cristiaan,lindsey has 4 types of kits...kits 1)no WG tie in and no muffler 2)WG tie in and no muffler 3)no WG tie in and muffler 4)WG tie in and muffler...for $460 you get a full 3" system no cat,no wg tie in and no muffler-WHAT A DEAL!!!for $560 you get w/g tie in ,no cat and a muffler-ANOTHER GREAT DEAL!!!im going w/kit #1 once i get the money.....

Quick Reply: cat bypass