Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cheap Subwoofer Job done

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares about clean install since it's covered by a carpet anyway?? To me it looks like the sub fits in there nicely, plus it's attached properly - what's not to like?

... shame I didn't even think about this alternative before making my own box, would have saved *alot* of trouble
Old 01-22-2004, 10:40 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Who cares what the engine looks like............
it's covered by the hood anyway.

Same logic?
Old 01-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Dave E
Pro

eclou said it was a track car anyway, why would he bother making this kind of thing pretty?
Old 01-22-2004, 02:16 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The spare wheel cavity and engine bay are not like comparisions. The logic is not the same. There is a different emotional attachment to the engine.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:10 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Just what every track car needs.....a sub woofer!
Old 01-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mwc - I am laughing now...thanks. I am actually in agreement with you and everyone else. I do think the same logic applies. I can see why he would want a stereo but in a track car who cares what it sounds like.

I am considering just leaving the radio out all togther. I like to listen to the car. Then again when it is a little warmer driving with the top off with the radio up sounds good too...choices, choices.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Dave E
eclou said it was a track car anyway, why would he bother making this kind of thing pretty?
Dave, I know you were talking about the speaker box only, but I'll offer the following up for discussion anyway.

I would tend to say their is a strong correlation between how clean and pretty a track car is, and the level to which it is maintained from a mechanical and safety standpoint. I mean if you don't care how it looks, why should we believe you care how it works or runs. anyone else agree?

just my opinion
Old 01-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Dave E
Pro

I think you have to draw the line between time invested and need for perfection. I'm sure you've done some things as a compromise because the diminishing marginal returns just called for it. I'd be willing to bet eclou didn't use velcro to hold the wheels on, but some things are just more important than others. my car is absolutely 100% mechanically, but I don't bother polishing the engine, I think it would look great and there are plenty of cars on this board I admire for that reason, but I just don't have the time to do stuff like that, that's all.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:44 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

" I am actually in agreement with you and everyone else. I do think the same logic applies"

Paradox alert!
Old 01-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike, I disagree to the extent that I believe if it's a glaring cosmetic issue that's not difficult to fix, then sure, it may reflect your attitude on the mechanicals of the car - otherwise, (and this is more like me) I could care less how the car looks, the paint is in crappy condition, and has been since I got it, it's 20 years old, the dash is cracked all over, there are stains in the car, I rarely wash it, etc - but I've spent quite a bit on maintenance items and performance mods just these past months. I guarantee my car's mechanically sound, though it looks like, and indeed is, my beater.

Sam

Sam
Old 01-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Point:
Originally posted by Mike Buck
I would tend to say their is a strong correlation between how clean and pretty a track car is, and the level to which it is maintained from a mechanical and safety standpoint. I mean if you don't care how it looks, why should we believe you care how it works or runs. anyone else agree?
Counter point:

My 86 turbo was purchased w/it's sub par paint job (2nd, 3rd?), and currently has 216kish miles on the chasis. There's a few dents on it here and there, the header panel has rust starting to develop. On the other hand it has a recent engine rebuild, a turbo S transaxle swap, new wheel bearings, upgraded brakes and so forth. I plan to tend to the suspension next (custom delrin bushings on the way, mo30s waiting to be installed), already has koni shocks and so forth, but I don't plan to make it look better anytime soon.

My point is, there are people out there that don't care how something looks, if it works fine. I can relate to this, especially if the functionality is there, and it's not even normally visible. My mentality says there's nothing wrong w/that installation, if it doesn't rattle, and satisfy other criteria that the owner has, such as cost/value, etc.
Ahmet
Old 01-25-2004, 06:50 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

until I get my open trailer, it is an 88 mile drive to Texas World Speedway. Listening to the droning of the engine + trackpipe at a constant rpm is rather dull. Plus, the install took about 30 minutes including fabrication and a total cost of $99. The question is not just "why?" but "why not!"

Quick Reply: Cheap Subwoofer Job done