Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clewett Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:46 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Clewett Spark Plug Wires

I finally got sick of trying to install and remove Magnecore wires on my car. I decided to try a set of Clewett wires and am kicking myself for not trying them sooner. Just a great set of wires from what I can see. The boots, wires, and construction quality seem up there with the factory originals (at least), and they click on and off without any of the hassles of the Magnecor wires (which are akin to pressing a bearing in place using a cooked spaghetti noodle.) Customer service was great too. I asked about a custom coil wire on the weekend; had an answer Sunday night; and the wires were in my car on Thursday. No affiliation, just a happy camper.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:11 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Cool, at my shop we always use the Clewett wires on air-cooled 911s if replacing the original CD ignition box with MSD, and they work great and are priced reasonably.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:59 AM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I upgraded to the Clewetts a few years ago and am very happy with the quality. Still a PITA to fully seat #3 and #4, but that was cured with a set of plug wire pliers.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:02 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
Cool, at my shop we always use the Clewett wires on air-cooled 911s if replacing the original CD ignition box with MSD, and they work great and are priced reasonably.
Agreed. Should have mentioned the price. With the high-temp sheathing, factory style boots, and spiral cores, I would pay more for these than any other wires I've tried, yet they are among the cheaper ones. You can also get them in a bunch of different colors on request.

Originally Posted by Porvair
I upgraded to the Clewetts a few years ago and am very happy with the quality. Still a PITA to fully seat #3 and #4, but that was cured with a set of plug wire pliers.
Those rear plugs are harder to get to, but I had my fuel rail off, so was able to click these on and off very easily. The Magnecor's, in comparison, are just stupidly hard to click on and off, which is particularly annoying in light of how delicate they seem.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:46 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't tried Clewetts, but I just wanted to say to anyone who might come across this thread in the future- stay away from Magnecore! They might be technically great, but they are fragile and difficult to install and remove. It's a hassle and there's a real risk of breakage. There's no need for that when good quality wires are readily available.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:07 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave W.
I haven't tried Clewetts, but I just wanted to say to anyone who might come across this thread in the future- stay away from Magnecore! They might be technically great, but they are fragile and difficult to install and remove. It's a hassle and there's a real risk of breakage. There's no need for that when good quality wires are readily available.
Couldn't possibly agree more. Try the Clewett's sometime -- they are also spiral core so MSD compatible -- but are at least as sturdy and easy to fit as Buru (including Buru-style boots) and probably longer lasting in light of the heat protection sheathing.

Off topic: what's up with the FFTEC website? Whenever try to look at it, I get a big warning saying that it may be compromised and that only a fool with visit it, or something like that..
Old 09-14-2018, 01:49 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are the Magnecors that bad? I just read all about them and they sounded great, and especially how they will last the lifetime of the car installed on.

Anyone have a used set they want to sell?

Last edited by superloaf; 09-14-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 AM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have used both, and after having problems with intermittent connections with a set of new Magnecors at the track I will never use them again. The Clewett wires are better than Bosch for half the price.

For any one interested, I have a used set of Clewett spark plug wires that was hardly used and still in original box. Selling for $35+shipping.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:53 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I had magnecors. I just replaced them after 5 years or so with expensive Clewetts (The LR version) and what a difference...see my thread under Bucking Acceleration.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:02 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by bw993
I have used both, and after having problems with intermittent connections with a set of new Magnecors at the track I will never use them again. The Clewett wires are better than Bosch for half the price.

For any one interested, I have a used set of Clewett spark plug wires that was hardly used and still in original box. Selling for $35+shipping.
What colour?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:13 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

If dan skips and cables are any color as long as it's black I want them
Old 09-14-2018, 06:16 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm hoping for black too