Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

overboost

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004 | 09:11 PM
Walgreens
Intermediate

Default overboost

I just installed a lindsey dual port wastgate on my 87. I have the manual boost controller hooked into the upper intercooler pipe then into the side port of the wastegate. The upper line is connected to a vacuum hose. The boost is spiking to over 15 real quick before I get out of it. I have tried adjusting the bc but it doesnt seem to do anything. The bc worked great before I installed the wg. Does this sound like my damn bc is broke? Or am I just missing something....
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2004 | 10:30 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

To isolate the problem further, you could disconnect & plug the line from boost controller to the wastegate. The wastegate should then open as soon as boost pressure exceeds the spring pressure rating. I don't know what springs come with the Lindsey dual port, but I imagine no more than 0.8bar.
If the wastegate functions fine with this setup, then your boost controller would be the causing the problem.
Old 01-18-2004 | 11:12 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

walgreens, I might be interested in buying your stock wastegate if its in good condition. how many miles are on the car?
Old 01-18-2004 | 11:19 PM
Walgreens
Intermediate

I have to return the wastegate for a core charge. Also I installed the bc to the top port only and left the side port open. It now will only boost up to 9 psi. I still cannot control the psi..
Old 01-19-2004 | 09:27 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Cyrus951
walgreens, I might be interested in buying your stock wastegate if its in good condition. how many miles are on the car?
Cyrus, i have a box full of them. Make me an offer on one.
Old 01-20-2004 | 01:32 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Also I installed the bc to the top port only and left the side port open. It now will only boost up to 9 psi. I still cannot control the psi..
OK, so the wastegate is opening fine under spring pressure, thats good.
So the problem is now isolated to your boost controller.

As you were previously overboosting, this means that the boost controller is not closing off the pressure signal to the wastegate side port once your desired boost pressure is reached.
Ie the boost controller should let air through when there is a low pressure input, and then restrict / stop it when the pressure increases. You could test this with an air compressor.

hope that helps
Old 01-20-2004 | 01:53 AM
Danno
Race Director

" I have the manual boost controller hooked into the upper intercooler pipe then into the side port of the wastegate. The upper line is connected to a vacuum hose. The boost is spiking to over 15 real quick before I get out of it. I have tried adjusting the bc but it doesnt seem to do anything. The bc worked great before I installed the wg."

This dual-port configuration is hooked up backwards. The Lindsey WG is a rebuilt stock unit, so it operates in the reverse direction as a Tial. The valve opens out of the WG body instead of into the body like on a Tial. Thus the diaphragm has to be hooked up in reverse as well. There is NO vacuum line that goes to the wastegate, BOTH the upper and bottom halves of the diaphragm gets the SAME pressure from the intercooler-pipe banjo-bolt through a T. Then the BC goes in between the T and the side-port on the diaphragm.

How this works is that under vacuum and boost under maximum, both the top and bottom of the diaphragm gets the same boost-pressure, thus canceling each other out and the only net force holding the wastegate valve shut is the spring. At no time is boost-pressure ever used to clamp the wastegate valve shut; it's always canceled out by the same boost-pressure on the other side of the diaphragm. Then when actual boost rises higher than the pressure determined by the BC, there is a net force of higher-pressure in the upper diaphragm. That's because the BC limits the pressure going to the bottom of the diaphragm. This higher-pressure in the upper diaphragm then pushes the wastegate valve open and dumps boost. Boost-pressure is only used to open the wastegate in a dual-port configuration, never to close it.

The only type of boost-controllers that can be used in dual-port mode is the pressure-regulator type. A check-valve type of controller like the ReliaBoost-I/II or LBE cannot be used in dual-port mode.

"Also I installed the bc to the top port only and left the side port open. It now will only boost up to 9 psi. I still cannot control the psi.."

This is better. Hooking up the BC in single-port mode is a good way to remove vacuum-lines and leaks as the cause of boost-problems. To get more boost from a pressure-regulator type controller, you have to turn the BC towards the - direction. Turning it towards the + direction will send more pressure to the wastegate, thus lowering boost. If you have a check-valve type controller, then turn in the adjuster so that you have more spring-tension on the check-valve.

At this point, you can have a problem with either the BC or the wastegate itself. To test, disconnect all hoses from the wastegate. Then slowly do several run through the RPM band starting at 10% throttle. Then do another run with more and more throttle. See what boost-levels you get. If the wastegate is operating correctly, you should be able to get 15psi with just about 1/2 throttle. Don't use more than this or else you'll get 25psi and blow your car up in a single run.

If you can get max-boost with the BC disconnected, then the WG is fine. However, if you still can't get max-boost of 15psi, then the WG is bad.

BTW- DO NOT use those thin 1/4" silicone vacuum hoses to hook up your BC and wastegate. They are way too thin and can't handle boost. They flex under boost and cause lazy boost-regulation with spikes. Use hoses with a 3/16" ID and 3/8" OD minimum. Fuel-hose that you can get by the foot from reels in auto-parts stores work great. Check out the silicone hoses that come with BoostSciences and GURU Racing use with their boost-controllers:

Old 01-20-2004 | 02:02 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Yeah, what Danno said.

Quick Reply: overboost