Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I got screwed up!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 02:49 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this guy in South Florida. If I can help, in any legal way, PM me. Hell I'll even pick you up at the airport. Was this shop located in Pompano Beach?
Old 01-19-2004, 03:41 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See, now you've got the idea Luis!!!!

Seriously, good luck on it.

Originally posted by lart951
I am very sorry for my childish statement about shooting this guy dead. What I am honestly considering to do is high jack a LASER SATELLITE FROM THE NATIONAL DEFENSE SYSTEM AND AIM THE LASER BEAM TO THIS THIEF IN FLORIDA and completely evaporate his body.

I tried calling and emails and no answer yet, I am going to see another engine in about 1 hour, I will try to call the man later on.

Thanks for all your support.

Luis
Old 01-19-2004, 05:24 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

ewainwright, I really appreciate all your reponses. it makes it easy on the anger factor. The shop in question is located at Delray Beach. I finally got a hold of the guy. I don't think he is willing to refund me the money but he says that he can fix the engine for free if I ship the engine back to Florida, or he is willing to send me the main bearings set and pan gasket and have my mechanic do it for me. Just let me assure you that this man's shop carries one of the greatest reputations in Florida, he is very well respected in the industry so it is hard for me to believe that he is going to ruin his reputation over $ 2500. dollars. I want to believe that he made a honest mistake.

I went to see another engine today,I was told that it has been sitting for 2 years. The guy was real helpful he did a leak down and compression test right in front of me.

Compression
Cyl#1 135, #2 140, #3 140 #3 150

Leak down
Cyl#1 18% #2 10% #3 10% #4 5%

What do you guys think?

Luis
Old 01-19-2004, 06:36 PM
ewainwright
Racer

I understand protecting the innocent; however, that doesn't hold for the guilty. It could have been me. If and when I get grossly ripped off I'll let people know so that they don't fall into the same pit.

On another note, Delray is about twenty-five minutes away from Fort Lauderdale Airport. Send your flight information and we are there.

Regarding him fixing the engine - fool me once shame on you fool me twice. That engine that he sent was a basket case. Moreover, he must have known it. Don't throw good money after bad. I'd want my money back as that engine was not what I bargined for. I could never afford that. ed
Old 01-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

How did you pay? If by credit card you can open a fraud case with your card company. They will refund your money and then use their high price lawyers and clout to trash the vendor.

You have a paper trail and your mechanic can fill out a claim statement saying the engine was grossly miss-represented.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:27 PM
krutschman1
Advanced

Luis, that engine has the classic signs of being under water (flood car). It explains the rusty parts and water in the oil (although the 2.5 is known for water in the oil). Kary
Old 01-20-2004, 12:20 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Matthew I paid him with a cashier check, I have the carbon copy and the emails he sent me. He was refered to me by a fellow rennlister, all in good faith. What kind of legal claim could I pursuit ?

Thanks

Luis
Old 01-20-2004, 12:24 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

krutschman1, he claims that the engine in question came from a car he was personally driving . When I talked to him today he said that he was sending me all the parts to fix the engine. He removes the engines from 951's to replace them with chevrolet's Lt1, he continually states that the engine was one of the best engines he ever drove.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:48 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

not to flog a dead horse or anything, but regarding:

(a) A person commits assault who:
(1) Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another;
(2) Intentionally or knowingly causes another to reasonably fear imminent bodily injury; or
(3) Intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another and a reasonable person would regard the contact as extremely offensive or provocative.
Your interpretation of (2) is incorrect. You missed the significance of the word 'imminent'. Generally (and it does vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but I can't imagine the differences are that great) this has been interpreted as meaning something akin to 'immediate', ie the time taken to fly down there would remove the element of 'imminence' necessary for the offence.

In fact, threats in general do not come under 'assault'. In jurisdictions where they haven't combined the two offences, people tend to be convicted of both anyway because they tend to happen at almost exactly the same time. 'Assault' is usually (2), while 'battery' corresponds to (1) and (3).

To use a really stupid example, if you throw a punch at a guy (and connect) you
(a) commit assault when he sees your fist heading towards his head; and
(b) commit battery when it actually connects.
If, for some reason, you missed (or you were really weak and your punch had all the force of a mosquito landing on his jaw), then you would only have committed assault. If you were really low, and punched him in the back of the head while he was unawares, then you might only have committed battery .

So threaten away .
Old 01-20-2004, 03:00 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Luis-

I just don't know much about comp/lLD but I SWEAR those #'s sound aweful- I mean- the worst cyl is normally #2 I think, but #1 on your list is the worst- & 18% LD on ANY cyl would make my mechanic start cusssing uncontrollably....
Old 01-20-2004, 03:11 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Robby, the guy said that the 18% leakdown could be, due to the fact that the engine was sitting for over 2 years. But I don't know if that is true. He offers no warranty whatsoever on the engine so I am not buying it.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:43 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lart- I think you're making a wise decision, myself... Maybe that would be a good thread though- I don't remember one like it- what are good Comp/LD #'s for 951....?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:39 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

i believe comp is variable (ie some engines read 130ish, 140ish, some read 150ish, and nothing is necessarily wrong with any of them) - the most important thing is that it is fairly even across all cylinders. I was told it is because the actual absolute figure depends on various factors (eg how much voltage the battery is producing).

LD should be no more than 10% I believe (or is it 15%?).
Old 01-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Pa_951
Intermediate

or better yet, rent a plane, and drop the engine thru the roof of his house...thatll do at least 2500$ worth of damage.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Pa_951
or better yet, rent a plane, and drop the engine thru the roof of his house...thatll do at least 2500$ worth of damage.
I think I like this guy...

Quick Reply: I got screwed up!!