Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Southern California Fun Run 2 feeler...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004 | 01:31 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cyrus, maybe we can do the other valley (San Gabriel Inland Empire) meet as a supplement to the Malibu Canyon run. We could take San Gabriel Canyon up to the East Fork, then Glendora Ridge down...

The only problem I can for see is that the road is mostly abandoned (on the leeward side of the ridge) but slow and twisty... also absolutely no room for error. Glendora ridge was built probably in the 20's or 30's, there is about 3 feet from roads edge to rock walls. Most of the ridge is unmarked too. Nice scenery, but not a place to go apesh*t on. Just a thought.

Angeles Crest is out of the question... to scary duking it out with the crotch rockets, plus its patrolled heavily by BOTH the CHP and the Sheriffs Dept.

But I am up for the Malibu run as long as its dry... Also Tony's suggestion for meeting at the track is cool as hell too, but I will need to get my clutch replaced first.
Old 01-17-2004 | 01:42 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer Kelly, but I don't want to be a ***** and change the

whole routine just for me. Regardless of where the Fun Run is, I will attend.

Hope to see you there.
Old 01-17-2004 | 02:03 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's deal at Willow Springs International Raceway (WSIR)

We can meet there to hand out and just watch the various racing (still fun). It costs $10 per person to get in, and there's tons of room to spread out and hang out... and... lots to watch from kart racing, to motorcycle racing, to car racing.

Or... if people were more interested in actually driving... legally fast.... we could get on the track with one of the clubs. Since most people don't have track experience, a DE (drivers education) event on a big track is most fun because you spend about an hour in the class room, then the rest of the day on the track (really about 1/5th of the day on the track because there are other groups running.... you take turns. 1 group, then the next, and so on, in a rotation. Each run group goes out on the track for a 20-30 minute run at a time).

The cost to run a DE at the track is approximately $125 for the day. A good investment in yourself for sure. Plus it's a TON of fun.

The track has hot food, a bar, snacks, gift shop, etc... with professional photographers that take pictures of you which you can later buy for $20 (yes expensive... but the photo is real good. An excellent momento for sure).

Anyway... just a thought.

Here's the link to WSIR ( http://www.willowspringsraceway.com ).

Also, it's a very safe track. 2.5 miles around, big sweeping turns, lots of run off room.

And this doesn't have to replace any "regular get together"... just an additional event...

TonyG
Old 01-17-2004 | 02:33 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Yeah the Glendora Ridge run was meant as a supplment... maybe in March, or April, not to replace the Malibu event. The Willow Springs thing Tony brings up sounds cool... Lancaster isn't that much farther for most people. Besides it would be badass to see some 944/951s all on the track at once.
Old 01-17-2004 | 04:14 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

OK, so now we have a potential of three meets within the next month or two. How cool would that be? Count me in on all three!

Tony,
for 125 bucks, I'm in for sure! so would my brother, in his 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS (Stock) I would LOVE toy do this, hopefully as a SEPERATE event from my canyon run. Would you like some help in planning your event?

Kelly, a supplement event sounds cool, especially for all you living on the other side. Count me in if you plan this, and if you want help planning, I'm here for ya.

C'mon guys, lets make the rest of the country Rennlisters jealous of us.
~Eyal
Old 01-17-2004 | 04:48 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Eyal 951
C'mon guys, lets make the rest of the country Rennlisters jealous of us.
~Eyal
The weather is what won us that won.

Anyway, do you have to be 18 to partake in that $125 event?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2004 | 06:02 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

"18 years old"

I doubt you have to be over 1 to track your car. You probably only need a license and insurance.

Another suggestion is a Rennlist Socal Karting social at Dromo One down in the OC.
Old 01-17-2004 | 06:23 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I normally attend the Pantera club events at WSIR and as Tony G. mentioned there is one March 13th - 14th. The organizer is Jim Saxton, West Coast Racing Inc. and there is a limit of 120 cars, which were met the last 4 times, so it would be wise to sign up as early as possible. You can get a sign-up flyer by calling Jim at (626) 285-2024.

We are divided up into 4 groups (chosen by the driver) from beginner to advanced and each group is on the track for about 20 minutes at a time. The beginner group gets extra instruction and first tour the track by van to “see what it is all about”. There are also about 5 instructors that you can invite out as passengers or drivers of your car to get personalized feedback. The equipment needed, beyond a safe car, is a helmet, a fire extinguisher and long sleeved clothing. The cost for the full weekend is $200 + $10 gate entry fee and lodging, which is very reasonable in Lancaster. You can have your mechanic do the tech inspection or if confident about your car’s condition, have it done at the track for only $15. There is a mandatory driver’s meeting Saturday morning at 8 AM where a few simple track rules are explained.

It would be nice to see more 944T’s there and it really is a lot of fun. If you need an excuse, then a good case could be made, that such an event significantly limits your speeding tickets (need for speed satisfied).

Laust

Cyrus951, Yes you have to be 18+ and hold a valid drivers license for this event, but call Jim anyway about the specifics.
Old 01-17-2004 | 06:36 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

hmmm, 225 is getting a little spendy for me right now. dammit, i would have really enjoyed that, and i definetly NEED a DE event.
~Eyal
Old 01-17-2004 | 09:14 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Laust

I think you can do just one day even though it doesn't say it on the registration form.... at least you can with most clubs.

TonyG
Old 01-18-2004 | 12:45 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tony,

Could be. I'll give Jim Saxton a call and ask.
Typically there are much fewer cars on the second (Sunday) of the two days.

Laust
Old 01-18-2004 | 12:57 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>Typically there are much fewer cars on the second (Sunday) of the two days.<<<

Yeah... because everyone is either broken, wrecked, tired, or has to get home.... :-)

TonyG
Old 01-18-2004 | 01:47 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

wrecked???

personally, I like my one and ONLY car somewhat driveable...
~Eyal
Old 01-18-2004 | 02:33 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Eyal 951

That was an overexaggeration... :-)

By far, it's people are tired, and have other things to do to get ready for Monday....

But.... to show you what fun it can be, just you click HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: 21.1 meg download (real video)
Old 01-18-2004 | 03:18 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

lol, i wasnt that serious either... i CANNOT wait to get my car on a track. (trust me, I could use a DE)

I'm going to watch that video now...
~Eyal

Quick Reply: Southern California Fun Run 2 feeler...