Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Drain Plug washer

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Drain Plug washer

From the ‘no question too dumb’ file... I’m changing the oil on my wife’s Kia and the new drain plug washer is odd: one side is different than the other.

Which side goes against the oil pan? Although this simpleton question isn’t specific to my 951, I always seek to learn, esp when I do come across something that isn’t in the procedure.

Anyone care to give a quick lesson on washers?

Old 08-10-2018, 09:46 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

Doesn't matter...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r253...er-orientation
Old 08-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Hmm.. unlike the linked answer, this washer doesn’t have a round side, just a different material. Unless the ‘round’ is hard to see with naked eye.

Kinda like the ‘crush washers’ I get from the Porsche dealer (banjo bolt, etc) that just look like solid silver metal.

Anyway, thanks for looking! I just guessed and put the softer-looking white side towards the pan
Old 08-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Suspect that's a manufacturing process artifact rather than anything intentional. For what it's worth, I've never paid any attention and have never had a leak (knock on wood). On a quasi-related not re your comment about the factory seals, I recently had a very difficult time getting a copper seal/washer not to leak fuel on an old Mercedes. I tried every trick I could without luck. In desperation, I went to the dealer and got a genuine factory part and it sealed perfectly on the first try. Not all aftermarket parts are made the same...
Old 08-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I have been getting all the little washers, seals, paper/rubber gaskets etc from the dealer. A pain, since I drive 30km for a $1.90 part.

So far, every one seems to be fine. I’ve also been using a torque wrench on everything. I have three t-wrenches now!

I must look like an idiot looking up torque values for drain plugs & torque-wrenching banjo bolts.. but... nobody’s watching... and since I don’t wrench daily like a real mechanic, I might not get the feel down right
Old 08-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Nothing dumb about using factory torque specs!
Old 08-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

The only times I feel let down by the use of the torque wrench is

1. That camshaft tower end-cap 3-bolt cover; the specified torque squishes the cork gasket out like squeezing peanut butter between crackers

2. Cat to muffler exhaust flange (4-bolt). Nothing specific there so I went with 30 ft lbs assuming those are M10 which pretty much mated the flanges and I suspect crushed the seal (some evidence of small leak there)

Quick Reply: Drain Plug washer