Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

dyno'd my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:02 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dyno'd my car

138k, no chips, stock AFM and 93 pump gas. Look how fat...

It hits 1 bar and rolls back to about .9 bar up top, you can see the power go away. I'm not sure why it can run @ 1 bar with no overboost kicking in. If I can lean it out a little it would be interesting to see where it goes.

Last edited by Chris Prack; 12-30-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Sorry to those that thought this would be more interesting, I was just surprised that it made so much torque for a stock car.....
Old 01-16-2004, 01:06 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

First, do you have an aftermarket boost gauge? The stock one is known to be very off on some cars (mine is quite accurate, FWIW). If not, you may not be hitting a full 1bar of boost. If you do have an aftermarket gauge, are you sure you don't have any chips? I think I'd pull the boxes out and check as first the overboost protection should kick in before you get that much boost and I'd also expect to see the A/F ratio being leaner than what you're seeing if you are indeed getting more boost than stock. Also, I'd have to wonder why you are getting higher boost, if there is something blocked up in your system somewhere to do with the cycling valve or the wastegate.

If you don't have an aftermarket gauge, that's the next thing I would do...just to make sure you have what you think you have in boost.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:18 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Definitely doesn't seem stock. You have about 4% drivetrain loss if it is and some how gained torque.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh, so that's why I couldn't catch you on the back straight at VIR w/ my Welt-chipped car. Hah, and you said it was your superior driving skill. ;-)
I'm assuming these are corrected numbers and not actual rwhp.

You definitely have something going on here for torque to be that spiky and to stay fat w/ the high boost. I just got a pair of known stock boxes that I haven't hooked up. Let me know if you want to borrow them for a back-to-back comparison. My car isn't mobile right now anyway...
Old 01-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Well I do know to fact that the boxes have not been opened. I replaced the plastic KLR line recently and neither has scratch mark one on them. I do not have an aftermarket boost guage and I don't pay attention to the wildly inaccurate factory guage on the dash.

I measured boost with the factory Porsche service boost guage. I agree that the overboost should be kicking in but it does not. I also know that it will come in because my timed air valve broke last year at VIR and it slowed my fun by the way of a burned exhaust valve.

I have spoken to a guy recently that did chip develpment for APE back in the day and he suggested the possibility of a swaped box. Apperently Andial used to sell turbo cup boxes but I need to get the numbers off of them and see what's up.

Jerome your welcome to come look for yourself and see it was still mostly the driver!
Old 01-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Chris Prack
[B]Well I do know to fact that the boxes have not been opened. I replaced the plastic KLR line recently and neither has scratch mark one on them. I do not have an aftermarket boost guage and I don't pay attention to the wildly inaccurate factory guage on the dash.
Chris,

FWIW, my DME and KLR boxes didn't have a scratch on them either. I opened them up anyway because I had found a boost restrictor jet in my banjo bolt and I was curious. Indeed, there were APE Stage II chips in there.

I have no idea how they replaced the chips without scratching up the boxes, but they did!

Best,

Gary.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I'm still pretty confident they are unmolested, I have been doing this kind of stuff for quite some time but anything is possible. No banjo restrictor or wastegate shims, I will see if I can pull them out of the floor and get a pic and you can see what I'm looking at.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:12 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are you measuring the boost?

Looks like a big boost spike.

TonyG
Old 01-16-2004, 05:24 PM
superjet.1
Pro

Wha i see is a torque drop and hp drop due to the ever increasing fuel ratio it starts ok but gets quite rich. Unless imreading the chart wrong its not the best layout ive seen.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally posted by superjet.1
Wha i see is a torque drop and hp drop due to the ever increasing fuel ratio it starts ok but gets quite rich. Unless imreading the chart wrong its not the best layout ive seen.
I agree. I am measuring with the factory test guage off the manifold and it holds at 1 bar for 1000-1500 rpm then falls back to about .9 bar. It is definately too fat. It was running around 10.8 - 11:1 from about 4500 or so on. Which explains the flames out the tailpipe even with the cat on the car.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:49 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by OriginalSterm
Definitely doesn't seem stock. You have about 4% drivetrain loss if it is and some how gained torque.
What is he running a toothed-clutch?? lol
Old 01-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Clutch makes no difference on drivetrain loss after it's engaged. We're talking internal friction through the entire driveline, not slippage anywhere.

Sam
Old 01-16-2004, 06:31 PM
2+2
Pro

LOL, Chris, IIRC, didn't you tell me you bought your car off A LITTLE OLD LADY? She must have had some "work" done to it....probably was a weekend racer at Summit Point.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Chris,
I don't doubt your car is stock, but I do think you'd have trouble racing in PCA E-class. According to the factory manual I have, stock boost is supposed to max just over 12psi. I think this is what the scruts go by.

impressive numbers. I wish my car put out anything near that power

Quick Reply: dyno'd my car