Old 01-14-2004, 06:55 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wheel Hub Shields

I am getting grinding from the shields rubbing on the inside of my front rotors. The steering knuckle from the power stearing rack seems to be pushing them against the rotors. I pounded the shields back with a hammer to give a little clearance, but it seems that these are pretty flimsy and will eventually bend back. You can see where the rotor was rubbing the shield in a couple of the pics. Not a constant rubbing, kinda every revolution of the wheel it scrapes a little. Anyways, my question is can i just remove these shields? I see you must have to remove the rotor to get to the bolts, but it only looks like a couple of bolts holding them on. What purpose do they serve? Funnel air to cool the brakes or rock shield? Let me know if anyone has ever removed these. Nothing looks bent as far as that goes, but the car does need an alignment, which really shouldnt affect these shields i guess.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:43 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Karl,

The shields are designed to stop rocks from getting caught between the rotor and pad and to deflect water (to keep from warping a hot rotor). If anything, they trap hot air against the rotor and don't aid in cooling. I've run without mine for years with no problems.

They are easy to remove once you have the wheel, caliper, and rotor off. It's a good time to check your rotors and pads, bleed brakes, check wheel bearing tightness, etc. Use some anti-seize when you reinstall the caliper bolts.

I'd remove them before the alignment. If the alignment tech needs to adjust toe or center your steering wheel, he could conceivably move the steering knuckle closer to the rotor resulting in more rubbing.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There's no way the knuckle should move relative to the rotor, alignment adjustment is done through the tie rod. If the knuckle moves at all relative to rotor, stop driving the car.

Sam
Old 01-14-2004, 08:59 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well the side in question was fine as far as the knuckle/bearing etc goes, it was like the shield was warped/bent and rubbing....now that is the least of my problem because i blew out the wheel bearing in the right front and shredded the knuckle along with it, so now i need a steering knuckle for the front right. Luckily i was 100 feet from the driveway.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hub Shields