Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Transmission Temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 PM
vwmann1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Temps

Hi all, curious what transmission temps all who track their cars are seeing. setting my cooler up on a relay to turn on and off based on the temp sensor and I feel that mine maybe too cold.

TIA
Old 07-10-2018, 11:23 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A cooler system....with an electrical pump...?

I'd have it on right away if that's the case, it would warm the oil more than cool it right out of paddock and on grid.

From there, why would you want it off at all...?

Factory system is active any time wheels are rolling.

Don't run one at all, not that I wouldn't but we never have transmission problems even with exhaust turning down right ahead of it but this isn't with a gt3 car with your power and tire either.

I would consider operating temperature to be same as engine, where cars are designed to go into closed loop, 150-180 deg, because normally, the transmission is coupled directly to an engine and would share roughly the same temperature so that could be your off cycle, maybe +50 for on..?

T
Old 07-11-2018, 12:40 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

We blew up a transmission at the end of a 24hour race. Temperature was probably a factor as well as the using MT-90 fluid instead of some better stuff. It would be interesting to get an idea of how hot these can run before problems start popping up.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:29 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If I were designing from scratch, I would definitely have multiple port fittings to put the cooled fluid re-entering the case right where I would want it.

There's no reason to just dump it back in and let the normal sling method take it from there.

Sure there is room during a rebuild to fashion a machined slinger wheel and press fit on the counter/pinion shaft but you could actually increase aeration which is a domino effect of rising level.

Some manuals actually have sheet metal "gutters" that carry suspended oil to direct points of lubrication, probably points of concern in 1st design failures under warranty claims.

F & Rr pinion bearing and mainshaft rear bearing would be my points of focus for a lube nozzle.

The rear of the main/input (just different terminology) is gun drilled about 6" deep at the rear to supply oil to two passages that get oil to 5th gear area.

Maybe there's a reason Audi stopped there (strength) but if you could continue this machining further up the shaft, you could supply forced oil to 3rd and 4th gears/needle bearings which are the two most used gears on track. Being that the main/input shaft are higher placed, oil exiting from there would naturally run down onto the counter/pinion shaft.

This would take a port where the rubber rear bearing access seal is, the use of the S2 and up hollow cheesehead bolt and a way to seal the feed pipe to the rotating shaft.

T

Quick Reply: Transmission Temps