Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DME rebuild recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Default DME rebuild recommendations

After chasing a no-start issue on my 87 951, I threw in the towel and took it to a local Indy shop. They reported back that the DME is bad, and that it will start with a non-Turbo 944 DME they had. So I'm looking at sending mine out for a rebuild. I found Specialized ECU Repair through google and eBay. Looking at $475 for the service. Any other recommendations or experience with that company? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:30 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I've heard DME rebuilds have a pretty spotty track record. Good opportunity to get a standalone if your budget allows.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:58 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 968to986
After chasing a no-start issue on my 87 951, I threw in the towel and took it to a local Indy shop. They reported back that the DME is bad, and that it will start with a non-Turbo 944 DME they had. So I'm looking at sending mine out for a rebuild. I found Specialized ECU Repair through google and eBay. Looking at $475 for the service. Any other recommendations or experience with that company? Thanks!

The Motronic box in a 964 RS I owned broke down and the DME box in my 944 Turbo Cup had issues. I sent both to Spezialized ECU doctors in Florida. Both work great now. Service was fast even considering that I am Swedish and sent them from here to the US.

I would recommend them.

Good luck
Peder
Old 06-28-2018, 06:07 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
The Motronic box in a 964 RS I owned broke down and the DME box in my 944 Turbo Cup had issues. I sent both to Spezialized ECU doctors in Florida. Both work great now. Service was fast even considering that I am Swedish and sent them from here to the US.

I would recommend them.

Good luck
Peder

This! ^^^^^^^
I had good service from these people too.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:14 PM
968to986
Racer

Originally Posted by odonnell
I've heard DME rebuilds have a pretty spotty track record. Good opportunity to get a standalone if your budget allows.
Tempting, but I'm in the middle of suspension upgrades so this is already killing my budget. Oh wait, I don't have a budget!

Originally Posted by PF

I would recommend them.

Good luck
Peder
Thanks! Reading reviews on their website, it's a little hit or miss on service, though it seems that the quality of their work is never in question.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Nothing but great experiences here with ECUDocs.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:17 PM
Chris Moon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no affiliation and have not used his service, but is Focus 9 Technology still in business? It looked like he and Joshua (aka Rogue Tuning) replaced the two DME boards with a single board of their design that brings it in to the current century. $400 for a new circuit board seems like a good deal compared to the cost of rebuilding the old boards.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:07 AM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Moon
I have no affiliation and have not used his service, but is Focus 9 Technology still in business? It looked like he and Joshua (aka Rogue Tuning) replaced the two DME boards with a single board of their design that brings it in to the current century. $400 for a new circuit board seems like a good deal compared to the cost of rebuilding the old boards.
Web site is still up, but a lot of the products are tagged “Sold Out”.

Went with the Focus 9 after tracking my no-start issue to a failed DME. Excellent customer service interaction, and the product is awesome. Very cool to crack open the DME case and see modern technology versus hundreds of solder joints susceptible to failure after 30 years.

Car performed without so much as a hiccup after the simple plug and play installation.

$400 well spent, IMHO.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:11 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Moon
I didn't get a reply from either of them a while back. Someone else did promptly, and they got my money.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM
968to986
Racer

Just a quick update. I sent the DME and KLR to Ecu docs in Florida. They emailed me when they arrived and called and left a message saying it was a busy time and it might take three to five days for testing and repair. Two days later, I got another email saying they were done. The rough news was that both units tested bad so the tab was over $900 for rebuilding of both units, with five year warranties. My mechanic got them on Friday and the car works fine now, so I'll pick it up on Monday. Then it's back into my garage for 28mm torsion bars and rear Konis to match the front coilover conversion I recently completed. Overall, Ecu Docs were excellent, my only complaint being that they shipped them back by UPS Ground, which took a week.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my own DME rebuild or my original DME and a spare, with $4 ignition transistors from Digikey, using an $8 Harbor Freight soldering pen, reflowing the solder joints while in there. Both work fine, and have for about 15 years...

Quick Reply: DME rebuild recommendations