Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ordered the Haltech E6X

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 11:40 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ordered the Haltech E6X

Well I have taken the plunge and ordered the Haltech E6X engine management system for my 951. I have purchased it through an RX7 outfit in California that I have been talking to via phone and email over the last few weeks. Have also been talking to Haltech Australia and trying to gauge how much support I can expect from these guys (been asking a lot of technical questions in advance). I'm sure it wont be quite the same as having a local expert but hopefully it will be sufficient and in a few months time myself and the yellow 951 will be back in Australia where there is a lot more familiarity with the Haltech. I have also ordered the Clewett Engineering crank trigger setup to provide the timing for the E6X.

Pricing was

$1165 for E6X with unterminated harness (includes air/temp/tps sensors)
$70 for connector kit
$58 for 3 bar MAP
$110 for dual channel ignitor (for coils)
$140 for 2x dual post coils
$492 for crank pully modified with 60-2 trigger wheel/bracket/pulleys
$58 for crank trigger sensor

$2093 Total plus dyno time

I'll get started on this in a few weeks after my next DE, it will be a few weeks before the E6X arrives anyway. I'm sure this will be an interesting & somewhat challenging project but I hope that it will bring another decent option to the 944 table. Either way it will be well documented.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OZ - who are you dealing with in California? Rotary Fashion? I wish you had told me, I have an account with Rotary Performance here in Garland, might have got it a little quicker anyway. They are the premier rotary guys in this part of the land.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:37 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Hey Matt,

I looked at their site since they are a Haltech distributor but their site was way out of date and didn't carry that much information. Since I couldn't find anyone with haltech experience in San Antonio or close by I figured I may as well buy out of state and save the tax. The guys I am dealing with are K2RD in CA. As People like Alan C have said, you need someone with experience and a willingness to provide the necessary support and those guys at K2RD have been pretty helpful so far. So far as I can tell many of these outfits order in the units from haltech on a sale by sale basis and I am not too concerned about the wait time. Since it will be a couple of weeks until I am ready to install it. Thanks for the info though, it could be helpful in the future.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Their website is not that great, I will grant you that. Kind of a shame, I will relay that to them...

K2RD is a good group (I think there are 2 guys there :>)). He made mounts for a few of my motor conversions when we was just a guy and not a company. He was one of the first RX guys to do the 3rd gen motor into the 2nd gen. Their pricing can be high but they do offer good service.

RP - is a Haltech dealer and they keep some units in stock (though I think they have the E6K not E6X as a stock item). They are extremely knowledgable with the system. If you follow the street scene Ari Yallon is the driver and head tech guy of their drag car (Chris can be a dick but he is knowledgeable). Steve Kan, who is all over the place, was one of their most loyal customers before getting into tuning himself. Dont have to like the ricers but they have helped move tech along in a lot of ways.

You might check Alamoautosports for some tech help (might be hard to get past the ricer image but they do know their stuff for the most part). They do standalone installs on Honda's quite frequently.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Any plans for a cam sensor?

Sam
Old 01-09-2004, 01:35 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Sam Lin
Any plans for a cam sensor?

Sam
Not unless I have idle issues related to large injectors, I would consider sequential then. But the others with 72lbs + injectors have not reported problems and my present idle (batch) with 72lbs injectors is fine.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:01 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

OZ,

What made you go with the Haltech system? You may have posted it before but must have missed the thread.

And good luck with it, i'm always currious to see how the stand-alone systems work out.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:48 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ian
OZ,

What made you go with the Haltech system? You may have posted it before but must have missed the thread.

I looked for a laptop programmable system that arranged the tuning parameters in table form, was capable of datalogging and monitoring wideband O2, had compensation tables for cold weather, start etc. Decent resolution for rpm/load was a factor also. Flexibility to integrate with existing sensors was another - we'll see just if that is the case or not.

The Haltech software does not look as nice as some of the others but is functional and flexible and thats what counts for me. It also has the ability to keep two different tuning maps on board which is nice and it can function as a boost controller also (again 2 boost tables - which i do use on my AVCR - the AVCR may well go if the haltech boost control works well.)

Haltech will also be local to me when I return to Australia so that will be a benefit whilst I get it sorted out.

For me it was a toss up between the TEC 3 and the E6X, the TEC 3 is a more capable system with nicer software but I decided I would be paying for features and niceties that I didn't really need. You can get into a TEC 3 for $3000-3500 so $2100 is attractive for the features that the E6X does have. Some of the higher cost of the TEC 3 could probably have been offset by a reduced dyno tuning time through the experience of folks like Alan Coleman and Chris White. But hey then I'd have no challenges!
Old 01-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Tec3 has nicer software? Since when?

Sam
Old 01-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

OZ951,

Challenges are fun! With the base of support you will have in Australia I think you made a good choice.

I look forward to seeing how things go with your new system.

Alan C.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:34 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Haltech E6K for my RX7 and I have friends with Haltech's installed in their cars. So far they have been very happy with the performance of the system. If you are in Australia I suggest getting in touch with Matt "The Hitman" in Penrith (near Sydney). His website is at http://www.hitman.hm/ and he has been very helpful for a bunch of the RX7 guys.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:26 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

That Hitman site was one that I found when I was doing my research, its a very useful site for sure. I have contacted them to see if they have any tips or startup information.

Thanks for the help & encouragement.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:33 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

I have been in touch with the shop where I get my dyno tuning done and have talked to them about building up some experience with the Haltech E6X in 944's so that they can support E6X in 944s in the future. The guys there already do a lot of aftermarket ECU programming for various other systems. They have offered their experience and a good deal on dyno time so that we can get the car thoroughly tuned and any bugs ironed out. Great news i'm thinking.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:11 PM
dynatech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wayne,
as we have discussed i used to work at dynoshop in adelaide, IMO the guy that owns the place would be the best guy for you to talk to, He is very much into haltech and im sure he has had imput with the development of there units. his name is david keen and his shop is called turbo tune, if you need me to i can give you his number if there is anything that turns around and bites you in the butt. Im sure he would help in any way possible as he really knows his stuff and has been tuning haltech's for aroud 10 years, Let me know if i can help in any way
Old 01-12-2004, 03:36 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Hey Scott thanks for the reminder. I am sure that his kind of experience will be valuable when the time comes to optmise the setup or perhaps go to full sequential.

Cheers,
Wayne

Quick Reply: Ordered the Haltech E6X