Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

PCV and Air/Oil Separator Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 11:00 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Tony! The only place with a little room is in the wheel well but it is still real tigh it would have to just lay in there. What do you think of laying it in there like this?

Old 01-09-2004, 11:36 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tazman

I realize your space constraints. However, here's a couple of things to consider:

1. How are you going to drain it?
If you are going to drain it manually, where is the valve going to be? How are you going to access it? Realize that the oil out of a small tube will take a long time to fully drain. (did you tap the can for a drain?)

2. If you are going to route it back to the sump, will you have a clear shot at the sump, with a decent amount of verticle drop? I don't think you would have anywhere near the proper verticle drop at that location to drain back to the sump. Furthermore, you would have to cut two pretty large holes to get the lines to and from the catch can (through the fender.

3. Are the ID of the lines to and from the catch can at least 5/8" ID?

4. Speaking of verticle drop... that location is really not the best with respect to height because you really don't want to be blowing downhill into the can. If possible, you want the catch can up real high... so as much of the oil in the vapor that collects on the sides of the line to the can, will run back to the factory oil seperator... not the other way around.

Are you running a factory air box?

TonyG

PS> I know that I just messed you up... but the bottom line is that that location is too low, is not far enough up from the oil pan, and is really too low with respect to the factory seperator (vertically speaking). You need to keep the verticle drop substantial form the oil pan....
Old 01-10-2004, 12:00 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I still have the cruise control with the Lindsey fuel regulator mounted on the side of it. I still have power steering. I do not have the factory air box any more but I am installing the Tec3 and the coil packs are mounted there.

The catch can does have for 5/8" ID hose in and out. I did not tap anything into the can yet I was plannig to run it as is for now and see about draining it to the oil pan some time in the future.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:03 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>I was plannig to run it as is for now and see about draining it to the oil pan some time in the future.<<<

Ok. Then how exactly do you plan to monitor the oil level in the can? And believe me.. that little can doesn't hold much. Surely you are not going to run with it installed there w/o the fender liner.... to do so would put the ABS unit as well as very important brake lines at serious risk (no joke).

If that can fills up, and you don't know it, you're in for problems big time.

Am I missing something here?

TonyG
Old 01-10-2004, 08:12 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

The car is not driven that much so I figured it would not fill up that quick. Well it seems I should just order that stupid 90 degree fitting that was under there that broke off and forget about the catch can.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:03 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

tazman

You should have more than enough room to mount the catch can and the coil packs where the air box used to reside.

Fabricate up a nice bracket and mount it there.

TonyG
Old 01-10-2004, 09:15 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Well I will have to look at that when I get a chance to work on the car again. I was looking in that area but the mount supplied to me for the coil packs take up that whole area. One other thing, in that location the can will be to low according to your other post. I really appreciate all the help you are giving me to try and make this fit.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:11 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

tazman

>>>One other thing, in that location the can will be to low according to your other <<<

Huh? If you mount where the air box used to be... that location would be as high as you could mount period. How can it be too low?

Perhaps you misunderstood a previous post.

And there is more than enough room for a set of coil packs and the catch can at that location.

Furthermore... you can mount the coil packs anywhere. They really don't have to be at that location.

The catch can is position sensitive. The coil packs are not.

TonyG
Old 01-11-2004, 01:28 AM
mochman
Pro

Why not mount your coil packs vertically that might gain you some room. With no airbox there's plenty of room there. If you need a hand let me know.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:44 AM
reno928s
Pro

Tony, I have the Lindsey unit and have a question. The thick hose that is supplied goes to the oil seperator but what do you do with the hose that you disconnects from there? Do you just plug it? Thanks, Reno
Old 01-11-2004, 05:32 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are talking about the J pipe end, yes plug it. I am going to build my own catch can, anyone got advice for the build? Can size, hose size, height relative to engine, use a filter? etc
Old 01-11-2004, 05:40 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TonyG

4. Speaking of verticle drop... that location is really not the best with respect to height because you really don't want to be blowing downhill into the can. If possible, you want the catch can up real high... so as much of the oil in the vapor that collects on the sides of the line to the can, will run back to the factory oil seperator... not the other way around.
When I said about it still being to low it was because of what you said here and anything you mount in the front of the car is going to be lower there is just no getting around that.

Tony and Dan I think there is less vertical space there hen you think! I looked again today and the catch can will not fit up front vertically because of the water tube that runs across the front. I might be able to make it work if I get rid of the level indicator on the front of the can and put it between the belt covers and the water tube where it steps out near the latch.

So what do you think of mounting it like this? It will probably be a challenge to plumb it into the oil pan from there if I end up doing that.

Tony do you know if the Greedy catch cans have anything inside that you have to watch where you drill? What kind of fitting did you put in the catch can to drain it?
Old 01-11-2004, 05:45 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NZ951
If you are talking about the J pipe end, yes plug it. I am going to build my own catch can, anyone got advice for the build? Can size, hose size, height relative to engine, use a filter? etc
Do you plan to plumb it back into the intake? The hose from the factory oil separator is 3/4" so you should keep it around that size. For the size of the can I would figure out where you are going to mount it and let that dictate the size.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:50 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I tried to fit that can you have, but sold it, it was too big. I tried in front of the passenger (drivers for you weird LHD people) side light cavity, near the air con. It did fit there with the air box out and the filter going to where you have the can now. It was ugly though, I will get something made up that fit perfectly. Just need the right location... I will plumb it back into the intake.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:52 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Are they coils mounted there? Hmmmmmm I could move mine and mount the can there?

Quick Reply: PCV and Air/Oil Separator Question