Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey Piston Coatings (ceramic, etc..)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 01:36 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ski,
What coating were your price quotes for? The 2000 or Sterling?

FYI....

Quotes taken from the jet-hot website.

This, I believe is the shiny stuff referred to earlier...
JET-HOT Sterling™ - Our exclusive formula works beautifully on new or used parts at temperatures up to 1,300°F. This high-luster coating, containing silver powder, shares the brilliance of chrome with the subtlety of nickel. It provides the most brilliant appearance in high-temp, high-tech coatings while delivering major performance advantages. The same basic formula is available in matte black, blue and cast-iron gray.
This...is the stuff I'll be using if I use Jet-hot.

JET-HOT 2000™ - Formulated for very high temperatures, this rugged matte-gray coating protects substrates up to 2,450°F, heat levels sometimes encountered in Rodding and Off-Road applications.

Last edited by adrial; 01-08-2004 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sterling.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dwayne-
While the exact mechanisms behind cryogenic treatment of steel are still debated, it is generally accepted that the process relies on additional martensitic transformation occuring at low temperatures. It seems to improve the fatigue resistance and wear resistance of steel through the elimination of retained austenite and through more beneficial carbide precipitation. Therefore, these processes could not work for aluminum, and the treatment is not designed to provide an increase in high temperature properties.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

ahhhh.....a fellow materials science major or materials engineer I presume?
Old 01-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Yep, grad student at ISU. When I was a sophmore I asked a prof. about cryogenic treatment and he said it was probably bogus, so I posted that on the mailing list here. The above post is an attempt to correct my mistake. What year are you? Hope people don't think I sound like a d*ck with my response, but the info may be useful to some. I'm not smart enough to explain it in normal English.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Graduated 3 years ago. Materials Engineering from San Jose State University. It's a tough major out here, there aren't many people who know what materials engineers do and a lot of hiring managers think chemical engineers do the same thing. The good part is that there are fewer applicants to compete with for those jobs that specifically ask for a materials engineer.

Anyways, good response. Information is always useful on this board.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:07 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

airborncoatings.com is a cheaper and very good alternative in OK. MTI (2003 Z07 Corvette One Lap winner builder) uses them exclusively with great results. Faster turn-around as well.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:10 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Nice price link:

http://airborncoatings.com/customer/index3.html
Old 01-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

While the exact mechanisms behind cryogenic treatment of steel are still debated, it is generally accepted that the process relies on additional martensitic transformation occuring at low temperatures. It seems to improve the fatigue resistance and wear resistance of steel through the elimination of retained austenite and through more beneficial carbide precipitation. Therefore, these processes could not work for aluminum, and the treatment is not designed to provide an increase in high temperature properties.
Ben,

I didn't think you sounded bad at all. So aluminum may be out, but steel (which is where the knives and gun barrels come in) does seem to show some benefits, right? I've used cryo treated skinning knives and they "seemed" to hold their edge longer, but I've never run any tests to prove it personally. What about brake rotors?
Old 01-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've seen great cryo results on brake rotors with other cars at the track, we're talking over double the rotor life. If I hadn't seen it myself, there's no way I'd believe it.

Check out www.frozenrotors.com for one provider of the service.

Sam
Old 01-08-2004, 03:39 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by eclou
Nice price link:

http://airborncoatings.com/customer/index3.html
OPERATING TEMPERATURE (CONTINUOUS):
1,200 ° F (650 ° C)

OPERATING TEMPERATURE (INTERMITTENT):
+1,500 ° F (815 ° C)
I would love to use them as they are within driving distance for me, but I dont think their product is good enough for the manifolds, crossover, pistons or head.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:59 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

After some more thinking, I thought of something that might be an issue.

If the head is coated so that it doesn't absorb as much heat from combustion, and the pistons are too...well doesn't that mean there are higher temps that the cylinder walls have to endure without any magic coating? Is this an issue?

--Adrial
Old 01-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I think the heat retention is a marginal issue. I'm considering having the piston tops coated and the skirts. The main reason for the tops being coated is for durability and to prevent deposits from sticking as easily. I got a response from swain tech to some questions and here's what they said.

The skirt coating adds about .0015 - ..002" to the overall diameter of the piston. It would be unusual to need to make a clearance provision for this if you were originally set up to run ..008", especially if you did the skirt coating in conjunction with the thermal barrier.

The bearing coating is approximately ..0002" thick. Rarely would you need to allow for this.

They are all permanent coatings. Diesel motors are the longest running motors we do coatings for on a regular basis. It would be unusual for them to run less than 250,000 miles before they tear down and often are closer to 500,000 miles and the coatings always look great.

The top coating I would use is TBC and the skirt coating I would use is PC-9. This will keep the pistons running cooler and stronger, protected from burning, protected from scuffing and will help make the motor more thermally efficient. The primary purpose of the bearing coating is to attract oil in normal operating conditions and if you do have oil starvation, they will provide a solid film of lubrication. The pistons and bearings would be the two primary concerns for what you have.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:56 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Good information Mike.

Quick Reply: Lindsey Piston Coatings (ceramic, etc..)