Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Left Front Driving/Signal Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Left Front Driving/Signal Light Not Working

So I've been searching for the past few days now and haven't been able to find the same issues other people have had as I am having. I recently converted my car to LEDs all around. Everything was working perfectly up until a few days ago. The driver's side front driving/signal light doesn't come on when I turn on the lights. The turn signal only turns on if the lights are in the 'off' position. It will flash normally, no hyperflash or solid on. But there are 2 issues here: First, the bulbs I put in have switchback function. So when the driving lights are on, they will be clear. But when you flip the turn signal, that side flashes amber. Pretty cool feature. Anyways, with the lights in the 'off' position, and while signalling, the light stays clear. It won't turn amber. Same thing happens if I try the hazards. This only happens on the driver's side. Passenger side works perfectly. The second issue is as soon as I turn the driving lights or the flip the headlights up/on, the driver's side light doesn't do anything anymore, nada. No driving light, no signal light. I also noticed just yesterday the side indicator light also doesn't turn on, ever. I'm talking about the one between the front wheel and the door. It is supposed to flash while signalling. I don't know if it's related to the front driving light, but I have a feeling it is somehow. I'm pretty sure when I first tested all the lights, it was working.

I've checked all the fuses and they're all good. the flasher relay is new. It came with the LEDs to eliminate hyperflash with LEDs. It makes the 'click' noise for both sides, even with the front lights not working. The rear signal light works fine. The entire passenger side works fine. The green light on the dash flashes, but it's a dimmer green than normal when signalling left. I confirmed this by comparing it with signalling right. The light is bright green when signalling right. So it's definitely telling me something there. I took the housing for the driving/signal light out and cleaned the contacts as best as I could. It didn't look any worse than the other side though. I was wiggling and jiggling the crap out of the wires to see if there was any loose connections.

The night I noticed the light was out, I pulled the lens off and wiggled the bulb, assuming it was not properly seated. Btw, the driving lights were actually a different set of LEDs than what's in there now. Anyways, it flickered a few times on and off, but after messing with it for a couple minutes, the light just crumbled in my fingers. So I ordered the set I have in there now and put them in. After getting the symptoms explained above, I also tried swapping the other light from the last set (the one on the passenger side that didn't get broken) in see if it was simply defective lights. Same result. And as I previously mentioned, I swapped the current lights and they both work on the passenger side. So the problem is definitely not the bulbs.

I did read something about the hazard switch possibly messing with the signals if it's bad. Could this be related to this problem? Any other ideas?
Old 05-19-2018, 02:50 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Got a chance to look at the light again tonight.

So I pulled out the trusty old multi-meter and checked both sides to compare voltages. With the bulbs removed and the driving lights switched to 'on', I got a reading of about 11.67V on the passenger side. I only got about 8.5V on the driver's side. I checked in multiple spots on the prongs and on the solder joints on the wires and it was the same all across. So this leads me to believe it might be either a loose/corroded hot wire or bad ground. I hope I'm onto something...
Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the voltage again, but with the meter directly to ground (chassis, engine, battery, etc..). This will tell you if the issue is with the circuit's ground or power wire.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you cleaned your Power Distribution Block lately? You may want to remove it and inspect the wires under it in the harnesses. I have found many many bad wires in four out of six of my 944's. And the distribution blocks needed cleaning as well.

Quick Reply: Left Front Driving/Signal Light Not Working