Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DME/KLR install in footwell

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 05:32 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DME/KLR install in footwell

So - is there a write up or any tricks to getting everything to fit as it's supposed to in the foot well? I have a heck of a time trying to get everything to fit well enough to mount the computer chassis. Mainly all the wiring and other modules. Just looking for any tips/tricks/knowledge to make it readily do-able. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

The key is to be young, skinny, and flexible. For the rest of us, it's a total pain. I have lots of extra electronics so finally dedicated my glove box to all the extra stuff. For a stock set up, I start by attaching the vacuum line to the KLR (using that unused 7mm wrench in your toolbox), then assemble the KLR and DME to the metal frame, then put the connectors on while it's on the floor with DME/KLR under the frame and the connector end pointed toward the firewall (i.e., poised to go in). Then, leading with the connector end, I slide/wedge it up into place, so that the harnesses get pushed above the assembly and the metal frame lines up with the mounting holes. Using a screwdriver as a lever sometimes helps line up the first few screw holes, since it's otherwise hard to lift the whole thing while trying in put a screw in... The carpet always tries to get in the way too, but using the metal frame to slide and wedge it all into place helps a little. If that doesn't work, try getting younger, skinnier, and more flexible.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I've modified it to be little bit more user friendly..

​​​​​

Last edited by Voith; 05-14-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:01 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom - so all the wiring, as well as the other modules, go above the computer plate?

I like that idea Voith...
Old 06-19-2018, 08:58 PM
lincolnturns
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled mine last night - and found the easiest to reinstall everything was to lift the other wiring and boxes above the DME/KLR chassis to get it seated correctly and then slowly tuck everything above and behind. Seems so haphazard back there but with enough patience and zip ties it seems tidy enough.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:59 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its is a complete pain in the rear, you just have to be patient. Hopefully you took some pictures before disassembling, I did not and struggled. I agree with the post above that it helps to pull the electrical lines up above the frame as much as possible to get more room so that it is easier to line the screws up.

Quick Reply: DME/KLR install in footwell