Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

crankshaft stuck... holy sh!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Erik T
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom,

Well the bolt came off quite easy. What does this bolt do except holding the outside pulley? I mentioned some freeplay in the main pulley, could this be caused by broken bearing?

The car is not in gear, at least I can turn the rear wheels. How can I check the clutch?

Thanks so far. Erik
Old 01-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I don't have my manual with me but I put something on the front of the crank assembly backwards once, listened to my father, and managed to lock the engine. Took that piece off and reversed it and the crank rotated. Of course in your case you were able to rotate at first.

Alan C.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:06 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

The bolt that holds the main pully on that is attached to the crank. The one you use to turn the motor by hand. That bolt is responisble for turning the oil pump. If that bolt is loose then your oil pump will either not function at all or not provide enough oil pressure at higher RPM's. This will cause catistrophic engine failure. The only (correct) way to tighten that bolt to the correct torque (~160 ftlbs) is to use a flywheel lock to keep the engine from turning. I have known of several engines that failed because that bolt was loose!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Alan C.
I don't have my manual with me but I put something on the front of the crank assembly backwards once, listened to my father, and managed to lock the engine. Took that piece off and reversed it and the crank rotated. Of course in your case you were able to rotate at first.

Alan C.
Alan is right here. You can easily put the crank gear that turns the cam belt on backwards (if you ask me it looks better this way). The motor will turn over at first but will gouge into the front of the oil pump and eventually lock it up. It will also not allow you to fully tighten the crank bolt which could be why yours came out so easy. I made this mistake once and reversed the gear and all was well again. Except for the nice marks on the front of the oil pump. Make sure the side of the gear that flares out is up against the washer on the oil pump. You may have to pull your rear belt cover to see it. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it works out.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:48 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I could have started this thread! I am going through the same thing right now. It's still a mystery. My valve train moves fine but the bottom won't move for anything. We have the motor out and hope to find out this week what's holding everything up. We did scope the motor from the top and there was nothing in there. Maybe and oil pump seized - i have no idea. I'll keep you posted on what my findings are.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Erik T
Intermediate

Is it possible for the oil pump to get stuck and causes the crankshaft to seize?

Erik
Old 01-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Erik T
Is it possible for the oil pump to get stuck and causes the crankshaft to seize?

Erik
Erik,

Have you checked the orientation of the gear on the crank? If it is on backwards it can lock it up.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:22 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Erik, drain the engine oil and filter it through a coffee filter or a clean white cloth as it comes out, see if there are any metallic particles in it. If you pre-lubed the crank with motor oil there is a possibility that with a lot of cranking, one of the bearings on the crank has siezed. For you sake I hope not, but the condition of the oil should give you a clue as to what happened.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:25 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

When you check the crank pulley the side of the gear with the lip should face out, the flat face of the gear goes against the washer and oil pump drive sleeve.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no way you can seize an engine using the starter motor. Must be something else, my money's with Jeremy.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

So, any word on what is/was stuck?
Old 01-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Erik T
Intermediate

Tom,

Basicly tried everything posted up here. Took off the cylinderhead, poored some oil in the cylinders (so see if the pistons might have seized), pried with a large screwdriver to turn engine backwards... no succes so far.

Next thing is taking off the bellhouse (just to make sure there nothing jamming there). Do you know if I can move the bellhouse around just by removing the 4 bolts holding it to the enige and the ones (4) connecting the gear to the bellhouse? If there is a little freeplay to move around it will same me a lot of work. Otherwise it will be as much work as a clutch job.

Let you all know when I book some succes!
Old 01-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check to see that the starter motor was free? Maybe the starter gear is jammed?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:30 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not your oil pump?? Have you checked that?

Last edited by clubracer6; 01-27-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: crankshaft stuck... holy sh!! HELP