Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Evap delete & Canister venting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Triple check that your flywheel and pulley TDC marks line up. Assuming that's ok, when a car starts and immediately dies like that it is often due to the AFR being way out of whack -- like huge vacuum leak or bad AFM signal. Have a Molson, sit back and take a good long look before breaking out the o-scope, as chances are it's something simple (switched AOS/ISV hoses, unplugged AFM, unplugged something else, etc.). Go over the checklist at the end of my write up and check you didn't forget anything. When I first fired up my 3 liter, it barely ran and I was convinced I screwed up something important when I built the motor. After just staring at the motor for half an hour, I realized in my rush to start it up, on of the intake gaskets was missing... Put that back and it's been good for 30k miles.
Good plan
Old 05-25-2018, 12:35 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Default It’s Alive! Again :)

Look what I found under the air intake tonight....

Fixed that... and.. it ran!

With the cheapo oil in it, I ran it while venting the coolant and then some... made sure the oil would be nice and hot. Then I shut it down and quickly drained the oil.

I’m not sure what this cheap “Peak” oil is, but it came out like water. Went in pretty thin but it flowed out like a kitchen tap. I wouldn’t put this in a lawn mower.

A surprise: after this running, the AOS milk all but disappeared. I thought it would take much longer...

Filled it up with my usual Liqui-Moly 10w60, washed the car, and off to work tomorrow!

PS.. my choice of oil for 10 yrs has recently jumped in price significantly: $70 CAN / 5 litre jug (was fifty for longest time). This at my local supplier who gives me “technician rate” (sometimes lol )

It’s gone too far. Any other suggestions? FWIW, when I first got the car, I started wih the common Valvoline 20w50. It seemed to like drinking that. I switched to the LIqui-Moly and the consumption all but disappeared. Dramatic. I guess my car likes it thick and German
Old 05-26-2018, 12:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Congrats on getting the car back together! It's often something simple like that, ask me how I know. I'd wipe that froth out of the filler neck with a lint-free towel (or finger). At this point, I nominate this the most mis-labeled thread on rennlist. Keep an eye on the coolant level for a while to make sure it's fully vented and isn't consuming or leaking any. 10W-60 is like glue -- no wonder if didn't consume much. I've had best luck with Castrol GTX 10W-40, changing it quite often (like 3k miles). It's a fraction of the price of synthetics and is a good quality oil. I don't use the oil long enough to get much benefit from synthetic, and it encourages leaks, and anything thicker than 10W-40 tends to make the lifters tick. In the heat of the summer here in California, when temps get into the 90's and sometimes higher, I'll sometimes go to 10W-50.

Last edited by Tom M'Guinn; 05-26-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:38 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Thanks Tom. You and Humboldtgrin esp. kept me going through this one

Have to admit.. it’s nice driving to work again

10w60 keeps the oil pressure up lol

Now, on to my next project: fix the AC. Better start a new thread............
Old 05-26-2018, 05:47 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

A/C look here

https://griffiths.com/porsche/air-co...4-944-951-968/
Old 05-26-2018, 05:58 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Thanks for the parts link! But first, I have to find the leak. Then learn how to handle the “freon” (whatever it’s called now)
Old 05-26-2018, 07:16 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by gruhsy
So I did a random search for diagnosing Porsche AC and got this site. Duh. At first glance, thought it was just a parts link. Should have known you’d send something more useful lol

Quick Reply: Evap delete & Canister venting?