Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DME Chip Suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:32 PM
arains44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME Chip Suggestions!

Hey guys, first off, thanks for all the support thus far. I have an 88' 951S with 163,000 miles on the odo. I've been fixing one problem at a time, sadly the previous owner did not take care of this car...

Recently had my DME repaired by ECU Doctors, they informed me that the car had an Autothority Chip in the DME, and wanted me to know do to those chips reputation for disaster. After researching that it seems as though they're only problematic if the boost is not adjusted with the banjo bolt kit they provided with the chip? Does anyone have experience with that? I decided that since I daily the car, that spending $100 on some dyno pulls to get an accurate idea of how the car is fueling, and what boost level it's running would be wise. Glad I decided to do so. It's super rich before 3,250rpm or so, and then the mixture is good once the boost builds. The wastegate is shimmed, and as it turns out the car peaked at 19psi of boost. So I got bad news on both of those accounts, as it seems like I'll need to address the DME chip, and the wastegate. I'm close with the mechanic and the owner of the shop and trust their input, I just also like keeping my money, and respect that their time is valuable. Their advice was to replace the wastegate. On the plus side it made 247 whp and 301 ft. lbs on a dynojet.

If anyone has experience with various DME chip options, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm also interested to learn about wastegate options, from what I've heard OE replacements are hard to come by and not advisable because they can't really be adjusted?

My primary concern right now is not horsepower, by any means. I'd rather it just run properly first, and ideally spend as little money as possible on parts and labor to get it there. This car deserves to be treated well, so I don't want to cut corners either. Would love any and all input. Thanks!

- Andrew
Old 04-24-2018, 10:51 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Andrew,
Like you, my car came with an Autothority chip set. Quickly I realized there was no overboost protection and the PO likely drove the hell out of the car so I had oil leaks in just about every possible source.

After replacing all of the seals, I decided to remove the chips and fortunately was able to go back to the stock chip set that the PO provided. From there I stepped up to a 3" exhaust without a CAT and wanted to find a chip that had all the stock boost protection without having to install a manual boost controller and maintain a relatively stock setup. I ended up going with the 951MAXHP Booster DME chip. This is just the DME chip so the KLR remains the same.

I have not put the car on a dyno but definitely noticed an increased throttle response and what I'd estimate as 10-15 additional HP. The downside is that I DO sometimes experience exhaust popping/backfire from unspent fuel and the idle seems to be slightly rougher than stock even after adjusting the idler.

http://www.maxhpkit.com/prod_booster.htm
Old 04-25-2018, 08:08 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like both you guys are running the stock AFM and want to stay relatively stock? Do you guys have to worry about passing smog testing in your states?

Russell's chip is a good chip, but there are better out there.

If Lindsey racing is selling the Rogue AFM solution, you will be pleasantly surprised. The system uses a MAP sensor to adjust timing based upon manifold absolute pressure. Off-boost response is enhanced (read - low end grunt). I know Lindsey sells the Rogue MAF kit, but not sure if they sell what used to be just the AFM kit (chip/MAP sensor/fuel pressure regulator).

The most trouble free product I've used has been the Vitesse product(s). Vitesse also uses a MAP sensor and sells an AFM product. I recently obtained the MAP upgrades for my Vitesse kit and am very much looking forward to installing in the near future.

BTW, I personally own and have run all three of these solutions.

Another slight deviation from stock would be the VEMS system, which is a fully MAP based system and requires you to take the AFM out of the plumbing (not a bad thing). If you're looking for a simple chip-replacement solution the above solutions would be the best.

Just one opinion - hope that helps. Lots to read on this if you do some searching in this forum. Have fun!
Old 04-26-2018, 12:08 AM
Doyle623
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I used the Autothority stuff years ago and it's stone-age compared to today's products, and not real safe for the engine (especially the head gasket). I've spent a lot of money at Lindsey Racing over the years and have always been happy with the quality of their products, but have never used their chips/tuning products...so I can't comment on those.

I currently have Vitesse products on my car, including their MAF (with MAP)/Turbo/electronic boost controller/MoMonitor/chipboard with their latest V-Maf+ software and the car runs factory-smooth, only with a lot more horsepower. If you're keeping the stock air flow meter, I'm sure their AFM chip would be a nice addition.

As for the wastegate, Lindsey Racing sells direct bolt-on options or you could go with a Tial 38mm, but adapters are required (this is what I use). In my opinion, a dual port wastegate with an electronic boost controller would be the ideal setup.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 AM
arains44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update, I happened upon a set of stock Turbo S DME and KLR chips on ebay for $150.00. I went ahead and bought them, mainly just to have, but also becasue that would certainly be a safe, low cost option for now until I put aside more $$$'s to spend on the car.

I think the Vitesse AFM chip is in my future. No my main issue is sorting out the wastegate. I read about the Lindsey Dual stage, looks like a solid piece. If I'm going to replace/upgrade the wastegate, I only want to do it once. Is the Tial as good of a product as the Lindsey? The price is nice, and I've heard that they work well from others as well. Is it worth the extra couple hundred of bucks for the Lindsey?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: DME Chip Suggestions!