Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Streetable Race seats with Halos??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Streetable Race seats with Halos??

About to get started on my cage for the 924 project (gets put on the back burner every time something comes up)
Because it's a street/track car. Well a Time Attack car that's streetable, I'm taking safety very seriously so any race seat wont just do.
I want a Halo on the seat but 95% of seats with halos are not designed to be used on the street with limited view.
I've found these 3 seats, Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
They're all pretty much in the same price range,
I know for a fact the Sparco seat is streetable as the halo is removable and is probably the one im leaning towards. But any experience with the other 2 of side advisability or similar?
Thanks.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:00 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobra works for me
Old 04-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonlp
Cobra works for me
Same seat in the image?? can you please elaborate further?
Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 01:53 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Thanks
OMP HTE-x and OMP Pista are styles you depicted in your post, the Pista very similar (and predated either of those) to that Velo and Cobra seat.

We use/have used all of the OMP seats even predating the halo types.

They help in angular frontal (no direct front collision) collision and side impact in keeping your helmet movement restrained.
We also have a wrap around right hand side net for this also.

The seats are great, and track safety-wise, I'd never have the earlier non containment types.

I have a brand new, never before mounted in a car Pista that I need to get rid of but shipping would kill you and even though the seat is never used, it has an expired FIA date.
Here in the USA it is still usable with a seat back brace to the roll cage and may even be able to be recertified.

I can tell you this, you will almost definitely will want these on sliders.
Hard to get into a fixed one.

I put my helmet on inside the car but if you mount head gear 1st, very difficult to get in with a cage and these seat and no slider.

T.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
OMP HTE-x and OMP Pista are styles you depicted in your post, the Pista very similar (and predated either of those) to that Velo and Cobra seat.

We use/have used all of the OMP seats even predating the halo types.

They help in angular frontal (no direct front collision) collision and side impact in keeping your helmet movement restrained.
We also have a wrap around right hand side net for this also.

The seats are great, and track safety-wise, I'd never have the earlier non containment types.

I have a brand new, never before mounted in a car Pista that I need to get rid of but shipping would kill you and even though the seat is never used, it has an expired FIA date.
Here in the USA it is still usable with a seat back brace to the roll cage and may even be able to be recertified.

I can tell you this, you will almost definitely will want these on sliders.
Hard to get into a fixed one.

I put my helmet on inside the car but if you mount head gear 1st, very difficult to get in with a cage and these seat and no slider.

T.
Regarding these 2 types of seats, how was your side view? i.e looking out the side windows as i need to be able to drive this on the street with out needing to remove the seat. (this is why im leaning towards the sparco seat with the removable halos)

Im planning on mounting them straight to the floor as far back as possible. Im using a floor mounted Tilton pedal box also. Steering shaft will be extended with "weld on" quick release. So i basically plan to shift everything back for more room in there overall.

Thanks on the offer, but i do agree, shipping will be far to expensive and probably not worth it all up.
Im not bothered with FIA tags as i dont plan on doing FIA events. Building it for Time attack as we have a couple of time attack days here in aus. WTAC - Sydney and Vic Time attack - Melb. and to attend club days here and there.

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:14 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Cobra Evolution Pro Fit GT
Old 04-09-2018, 08:42 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I have tended to steer away from the halos as I believe in the event of a fire they add an extra level of difficulty to getting out of the car. As the reason for having the halo is side ways head movement I have gone with nets, as they go away with the pull of a pin.

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2018, 11:31 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the 924 have to be streetable? Keeping something street legal(ish) always means a lot of compromises that have to be done and it won't be as quick as it could be as a full track car. Seeing as you already have the 951 as a street car...why not make the 924 track only?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:03 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

We have installed a few halos Pauly, they are not street friendly at all. Painful without sliders and even painful with them compared with non halo seats. You really start to rely on mirrors a lot as 3/4 view back is basically gone completely. That top spark may be the way to go or 2 seperate seats, one for track one for road. Tim is spot on though, any compromise to remain streetable will cost you on the track
Regards
Sean
Old 04-10-2018, 12:33 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Does the 924 have to be streetable? Keeping something street legal(ish) always means a lot of compromises that have to be done and it won't be as quick as it could be as a full track car. Seeing as you already have the 951 as a street car...why not make the 924 track only?
For wtac and vic time attack, (same rules) i need to be street registered, so keeping that in mind if the car is registered, i would like to drive it now and then on the street. (club reg FYI, 90 day permit)

Originally Posted by JET951
We have installed a few halos Pauly, they are not street friendly at all. Painful without sliders and even painful with them compared with non halo seats. You really start to rely on mirrors a lot as 3/4 view back is basically gone completely. That top spark may be the way to go or 2 seperate seats, one for track one for road. Tim is spot on though, any compromise to remain streetable will cost you on the track
Regards
Sean
Understood Sean, Im leaning towards the Sparco, I just have no exp with the other 2 and was curious how they're with side visibility.
One thing that worries me is the height of the holes fr the belts, they look low.

Problem is, no one local has one i can go see and sit in.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I found someone local-ish who has these, will swing by and try!
Old 04-10-2018, 05:14 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For wtac and vic time attack, (same rules) i need to be street registered, so keeping that in mind if the car is registered, i would like to drive it now and then on the street. (club reg FYI, 90 day permit)
Ah of course...sorry, forgot about those regs.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I would only consider a halo seat for a street driven car if it was very rarely driven anywhere except to and from the track. If so, I'd go with one with the top panels cut out so you at least have a little bit more peripheral vision.
But they are a nightmare on the street and I wouldn't do it again. I do think they're better for safety in terms of reducing sideways head/neck movement in an accident. Been there, done that. Wasn't nice in a normal seat and without a HANS device.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Beyond the visibility aspects mentioned above, the pb with the Halo seat in a street car is the position of the stock belt.
The Halo push aside the belt from your upper body.
I only use Cobra because of the fit for me but, for your application, only the Sparco from the picture seems to be appropriate (with the halo removed on the street).
You already know that you will probably end up with a trailer one day... ;-)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Ah of course...sorry, forgot about those regs.
I also wouldn't mind taking it for a buzz around the street once and now and again.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I would only consider a halo seat for a street driven car if it was very rarely driven anywhere except to and from the track. If so, I'd go with one with the top panels cut out so you at least have a little bit more peripheral vision.
But they are a nightmare on the street and I wouldn't do it again. I do think they're better for safety in terms of reducing sideways head/neck movement in an accident. Been there, done that. Wasn't nice in a normal seat and without a HANS device.
Yes i remember your accident, and it always comes to mind when thinking about seats.
I assuming when you say the "top panels cut out" you mean like the velo & cobra? in the images i've posted?

This is why im leaning towards that sparco. Seems to be popular in street driven track day cars like BMW M3s.
If not, I'll get a normal seat with a halo and swap out seats for trackdays. Im going to test sit a few tomorrow, They stock Sparco & OMP seats.

Originally Posted by Cyril
Beyond the visibility aspects mentioned above, the pb with the Halo seat in a street car is the position of the stock belt.
The Halo push aside the belt from your upper body.
I only use Cobra because of the fit for me but, for your application, only the Sparco from the picture seems to be appropriate (with the halo removed on the street).
You already know that you will probably end up with a trailer one day... ;-)
Oh it'll be on a trailer to events, no doubt. im not diving 2-3h to the track.
Yep the sparco is what im leaning towards. as long as it fits.

Quick Reply: Streetable Race seats with Halos??