Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Altitude sensor location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Altitude sensor location?

Did some searching but none of the links to pictures seem to work anymore.

Looking for where the altitude sensor is located? One thread I cam across mentioned being in the passenger compartment foot well?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

It's way up in the corner on the passenger side under the dash--high and to the right in the footwell. It's an on/off switch basically, so very easy to test and/or bypass. Curious why you're looking for it?
Old 04-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

See that gold coloured round thing top left in my passenger well? Apparently that's it, and I'm not sure why, but that white plug appears to come from it and it's not plugged into anything!

Old 04-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Dan, there should be a corresponding connector stubbing out from the harness going to the main 35-pin DME plug. And, no, that's not why your car isn't starting.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:28 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Ha ha I was entertaining that idea for a bit there!!

So, it should be plugged in? Maybe I accidentally unplugged it while pulling on the harness?

Here are all the unplugged plugs... maybe it's one of the two at bottom right?

Old 04-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Looks like the bottom right white one. Trace one of the pins to DME 30 and you'll know for sure. Unless you travel above 1000 meters, it's just ballast though.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Trace one of the pins to DME 30 and you'll know for sure
This means use the continuity setting on the VOM, right? I'll check that out tonight.

Though it's pretty flat up here.. but when I retire and set on my epic drive to visit all the helpful folks here, I'm betting I'll meet a few mountains... both landscape and people lol
Old 04-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Looks like the bottom right white one. Trace one of the pins to DME 30 and you'll know for sure. Unless you travel above 1000 meters, it's just ballast though.
Hey Tom.. I discovered that yes, that white one is the proper plug for the Altitude Switch--one of its leads beeps with DME 30.

The black plug directly to the left of it, also taped to the bundle of wires, beeps at DME 29--AC Compressor (+). Clearly, it's also unplugged. But, I can't find its mate.

I've been having AC issues.. I tried topping the system up; that worked for a bit (compressor turned on) but not for long. I figure there's a big leak somewhere. My question is.. what is the function of that plug and DME connection? Should it be plugged in somewhere? If so, where?

Clearly, IF it's been unplugged this whole time, my compressor does activate, and the AC was working well until last summer
Old 04-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Hey Tom.. I discovered that yes, that white one is the proper plug for the Altitude Switch--one of its leads beeps with DME 30.

The black plug directly to the left of it, also taped to the bundle of wires, beeps at DME 29--AC Compressor (+). Clearly, it's also unplugged. But, I can't find its mate.

I've been having AC issues.. I tried topping the system up; that worked for a bit (compressor turned on) but not for long. I figure there's a big leak somewhere. My question is.. what is the function of that plug and DME connection? Should it be plugged in somewhere? If so, where?

Clearly, IF it's been unplugged this whole time, my compressor does activate, and the AC was working well until last summer
Don't want to hijack the thread, but that pin just tells the DME when the A/C is on, presumably so it can manage the idle and ISV better when the compressor is on. How many pins are on that black connector?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Hey Tom.. here's a pic of that connector; it looks like the end of an AC line that plugs into an old portable radio (?)

Quick Reply: Altitude sensor location?