Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best Turbo setup for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 06:13 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Turbo setup for me?

Maybe someone can help- would like to make 340-350rwhp, but want a Turbo that is fun for street use- not too much lag. Based on my mods, what would be the best Turbo? All opinions welcome

55lb injectors, MAF, bigger intake pipes, large BOV, 3" exhaust, no cat, Tial 46 mm wastegate, and some other odds and ends.
Any input would be great.
-Randy
Old 12-29-2003, 11:18 AM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning Randy,

I see that you are in Baghdad, Iraq. Are you in the service? My prayers are continuing for you, our service people and the people of Iraq.

My I suggest doing a search on this board as this question has been asked and answered many times over.

There are many ways to go and tuners who would be glade to get you there and take your money along the way.

First, ensure that your vehicle is in top condition and decide on how you are going to use it. Quick spool up and high horsepower are at odds. (read Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell).

Play close attention to customer service issues, timely delivery, packaging for delivery and others impressions of their purchases

We are really good about answering specific questions. Do some research on this board (search function). We'll be happy to answer all of your questions. Be careful, take care, and you have 100% of our support. God Bless ed
Old 12-29-2003, 12:56 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

A KKK 27/6 or one of the Garret's should get you there. But you would need to run about 18 PSI of boost at least. I found that the stock 2.5 ltr motor works best for street use at around 15 to 16 PSI of boost. Unfortunately that would be only about 300 rwhp. Enough for me.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:27 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Yes I am in Iraq for another 2 months or so- have been here a little over 10.
Thanks for the advise- I definately want a safesetup and dont want to run 18PSI at all times, I was thinking more along the lines of 16. I actually have an aftermarket turbo now, but dont know what it is! It came with the last engine I bought, and the PO thinks its a T04(E?B?) Not sure. When I get home I plan to post pics and see if someone can figure it out. I have not had much of a chance to drive my car with the new Turbo, so I wont get to see what I have until I get home in Feb/Mar. First time I drove it just before I came to Iraq, the wastegate locked, and it hit full boost (the boost gauge pinned at "30"....oops), and blew the motor up- a glory run if you will. It sure felt fast though... hah.
My car is now getting a new engine, and I'll pick it up when I get home- who knows, I may like the turbo I have just fine. If not, I'm considering a Vitesse stage 2 kit- I like the idea of their piggy back over the ARC2 I currently run.
-Randy
Old 12-29-2003, 01:43 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Several are very happy with their Vitesse stage 2 kit. Fast951 provides excellent customer support. I look forward to seeing your pictures soon. Please stay safe. ed
Old 12-29-2003, 03:43 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

yeah, I'll definately post them- I also have some great pics I took going through the war I'll share with everyone interested later. My brother put together a slideshow on a website.
-Randy
Old 12-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ewainwright is correct on the Vitesse stage II kit. jwl just got off the dyno just after break in miles, 15psi on street gas, yielded 314/310 respectively. The pull was done in third. The consensus after the pull(s) was that we should have done them in fourth. Anyway..... the car is breaking the rear tires loose in second gear - 255/40/17 Goodyear F1s. Do a search on "jwl rebuild", got pics too if they are still on the server.

I'm very happy with my Kokeln V turbo from Lindsey, with 65# injectors and GURU K27v9a chips. This chip gives about a 12.5 to 12.6 A/F ratio at 6000 rpm, 17 psi, on 96 octane. I still run the factory AFM too. If I went to an MAF and software, I guess I would pick up 20-30 more hp with a piggyback and laptop software.

Your not going to get 340 - 350 rwhp at 15 psi unless you do some EXTENSIVE head and exhaust work, talk to TonyG he has done it, actually more.

310-330 rwhp at 15-17 psi is pretty strong in these cars as you know. I just backed my car back down to 15 psi last week(got tired of mixing gas) and reinstalled my GURU K27v8d chip and you know...I forgot how quick and smooth it was at 15 psi! It is extremely quick at 17(282/290 Mustang dyno) but it seems a bit smoother at 15 - go figure.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:11 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Randy,

Be safe in Iraq. Research all your options! Once you get home, if you decide tio go with Vitesse, contact me. I'll try to give you a great deal on the Vitesse Stage 2 (or whatever product we offer). This will be my way of saying thank you for serving in Iraq.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:47 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

Randy:

All the best also from Canada! Come home safely.

I see that you already have a MAF. You don't need to buy the whole vitesse stage 2 kit, just he turbo is good with the quick spool option. What setup do you have right now for tuning? ARC2?

I can defintely recommend my setup. It is not as powerfull as a vitesse kit but the Guru chips with the stock AFM don't need dyno tuning at all.

Christian
Old 12-30-2003, 11:59 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Christian, I run an ARC2 right now, not too happy with it. I would like something better, and have heard great things about the vittesse piggyback.
fast951, I will certainly keep that offer in mind for when I come home, appreciate the support, thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 12:15 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

You can upgrade your MAF with the Guru digital MAF kit. Please check out Guru's web page. I have one for sale inc. programer :-). Offers welcome. No need to throw out your old MAF system alltogether. If you want ease of tuning the Lindsey digital MAF upgrade is the best solution, it has a 4 **** adjustment like the ARC2 but is newer technology, also the new adjuster from split second (don't remember the name right now) seems to be good. The SMT6 is good too but $750 is too steep of a price. Anyway, if I would be you, have your old turbo checked out and if it's still good, keep it for now. Then upgrade your MAF system, spend some dyno time, buy a wide band sensor for fine tuning and see if you like it.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:19 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Yeah, I will definately research all my options- I will most likely be able to keep my MAF, and just modify it as I see fit- it shouldnt be necessary to "throw it out" all together, it still works afterall
Why are you selling yours?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:49 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

I am just selling the Guru digital MAF upgrade kit which consists of the Link intercept tuner plus the programer, it is for people with an old MAF tuner like the ARC2. I only used it for playing around with the Lindsey MAF system I had. After all I decided to go back to the stock AFM / Guru chips for 27/6. The advantage is: zero tuning,, 100 % driveability just like stock.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:51 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Tony 's car make the power it does at 15-16 psi(395 at wheels) because every part of the turbo system was addressed. One of the keys is by using a true Garrett hotside which is much less restrictive then the KKK hotsides that are available.Another big ingredient is our stage 2 header and crossover pipe.This was designed to make top-end power.The other big part of the equation is a full 3" exhaust from the turbo back. The big beneift of the headers,Garrett hotside and exhaust is the reduction in back pressure.A typically KKK hotside set-up with the stock headers,crossover,downpipe will see aboout 36-40 psi of back pressure running at 18 psi of boost pressure.This is double the back pressure you want to see! This will limit power. With our set-up, the back pressure registers about 18-20 psi which is exactly where you want it. Boost pressure and back pressure should be at a 1 to 1 ratio. We have even seen noticable gains with our set-up on a completely stock car! For those that are showing interest, you can look out for Project 951 in European Car Magazine in the very near future.They will be running our stage 2 headers,3" downpipe and intake manifold(which is another important part that I didnt even talk about).Take care.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:08 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

I already have the downpipe- so maybe the intake manifold and headers would be a good upgrade next- I replaced my headers with GHL- they are SS, but essentially just a stock replacement from what I understand. They werent cheap though

Quick Reply: Best Turbo setup for me?