Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

General Turbo Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Turbo Help

I would like to upgrade my turbo one day but would like to know different kinds out there and what the differences in them. I have a '86 944 turbo that I drive everyday so I would like to have a turbo that spools quicker then very high HP numbers. I know that the 26 is the intake, 6 is compressor wheel and understand that a bigger comp. wheel takes longer to build boost but you get more. There are some that have done the 27/6 that are happy with it, what kind of performace gain is there compared to the 26/6? I also keep hearing about the 60-1 Hi-fi, is this a turbo in itself or just half of it? I also hear about the full turbo TO4E, TO4B, what is the difference in these and how do they compare to a 26/6? I am not looking for just the HP of each but a better understanding of them. Also, I have seen some turbo charts showing a turbo performance, I don't understand to save my life but then again I really learn any of this just bits and pieces.

When I get the turbo I will have a MAF, reli-boost set at 15-16, chips of course. I want to keep the turbo down around 15 to 16 for safety and also I like my car and don't want to blow it up over a few pounds of boost. I know that at 18 over 16 would be like 20 more HP but I want to keep my car for awhile so I don't want to take the chance. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, might I suggest you get a dual port wastegate with manual controller, and a seperate boost gauge before you go off on the turbo and an MAF. You might be pleasantly surprised what a true 14 to 15 psi feels like from a K26/6,,then make your choice as to what you want to do. Also as you upgrade your turbo, then MAF, don't forget engine managment and injectors; as you upgrade, a WBO2 would be a wise investment too.

Tial or Lindsey wastegates seem to be most in use around here,,I really like my Lindsey unit.

You may want to try to find Corky Bells book "Maximum Boost" to get a better understanding of turbos and compressor maps.

Quick Reply: General Turbo Help