Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LR billet fuel rail noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 11:33 AM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR billet fuel rail noise?

I've had the fuel rail in now for about 2 months and overall have been happy with the performance and added safety feature. One thing I haven't got use to or been able to get rid of is the excess noise ( injector pulse?) that resonates through it, specially at idle. Has anybody experienced the same problem? Any ideas on how to eliminate it?
Old 12-28-2003, 12:13 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That be the gas banging on the aluminium (pass the tea) because of lack of damping. No problems.

Old 12-28-2003, 02:23 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I figured it was lack of dampening. One thing I've noticed is that on the LR rail the dampener is on the back compared to the OM rail where the fuel enters the dampener first, then the rail, and then the regulator,,, I don't know what difference it makes. Last week I talked to Lindsey Racing about how to reduce the amount of noise. Dave has taken some split pieces of 1/4" hose and wedged them in some locations along the hard fuel lines but said it didn't help much. If it's dampening what about changing the fuel supply/return rout? Maybe change the diaphram? Maybe change the type of dampener?
Old 12-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about running it through the regulator first? Just a thought,,,as I have not installed mine yet,,as you know. The way the dampner is set up, it is on a tee; not much dampning effect as I would think the fuel would travel out the tee direct to the fuel regulator rather than say through a type of pulsation dampner. Now if it went INTO the dampner and out a side port......then to the regulator...what is the outlet size of the schrader valve on the dampner?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:51 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

If you ran the fuel through the regulator first how would the fuel rail pressure up since there's no "check" on the return line? Your right about the fuel going into the tee and kinda bypassing the dampener,,,
rerouting the fuel through the dampener and out scharder valve may be an idea! I think it's 1/8" NPT so we could use a NPT/JIC nipple to connect up the fuel lines,,,may work!
Old 12-29-2003, 04:51 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally posted by jwl
...Maybe change the type of dampener?
I think it's damper

Somebody yelled at me at work for this. You dampen something with water, you damp pressure. lol

Anyways, is this noise THAT obnoxious? Installing mine soon, want to make sure any noise I hear is "normal".
Old 12-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems just to be more "ticking" at idle, once the rpms get to 2000 or above it pretty much goes away, or so says Jim(jwl). OZ951 experienced it at the track, I think BenZ posted on it too. Dave is looking for something to dampen the noise. Irritating,,maybe for some. As for me I have not installed mine yet either as it was a "X-mas" present
Old 12-29-2003, 07:14 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

D-A-M-P-E-R,,,,got it!!! I don't think the noise is something I couldn't live with I just thought I'd post to see if anybody had any suggestions on what to do about it. Is it that obnoxious?...Yeah, kinda,,,to me anyway!
Probably wouldn't bother me if it was a race car.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:26 PM
special tool
Banned

I can see how that noise would drive you insane, man. Well, if it eases your pain, I will send you a very nice oem one in exchange for that one.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:31 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Did anybody try adding air or taking it out of the bladder in the damper?
Old 12-29-2003, 10:07 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I would call it obnoxious. I can live with it like JWL says but i would sure as hell like to see a better solution.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:45 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

tazman, I don't know how you'd add or take air out of the damper because the schrader valve is fuel pressured and the rest of the damper is sealed. I was thinking about talking with the damper manufacture if I can find them,,,, I think it's Marron, see if they have any ideas!
Old 12-30-2003, 12:07 AM
AlexE
Pro

the pulsations are definitely aggravated by us running larger injectors.... the solution would of been to have a rail that carried a larger volume of fuel. The damper is added to minimize these occilations and obviously its not enough.... I have seen a few guys port rails in order to achieve a higher volume. I think we may be S.O.L here.......
Old 12-30-2003, 12:11 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

So if I read this properly if you put a normal tire gauge on the schrader valve that will give you a fuel pressure reading? So what you guys are thinking is since the damper is right where the fuel outlet is we are not getting the proper results? Maybe somebody who understands this could contact them to see what they have to say.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:22 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, be sure to have the injectors free floating in their O-rings. Think of them as small rockets, each time they squirt, they jump up a bit and actually aid in the dampening. If there isn’t enough vertical motion available they will hit the rail, which will make noise.

If you have injector clips restricting the motion, you can take them off, if you are sure the rail is well anchored. Removing the rail without clips can be messy with some injectors separating at the rail and not the manifold.

Laust

Quick Reply: LR billet fuel rail noise?