Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice on door issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Advice on door issue

I opened my door in front of a cyclist; not a proud moment. Luckily, the cyclist wasn't hurt, his bike fine. Since then, my door barely closes on the latch. It catches right at front edge.

Gone is that satisfying sound of the 944 door close. To get my fix of it, I sometimes open and close the passenger side.

As my car is on stands and I'm finishing a clutch job, I feel maybe I can finally fix this.

I don't know if the hinges got bent... or the A-piller where they mount twisted... or.... ?

The cyclist must have hit near 45deg angle; there's not one scratch from the incident.

Once closed, the door is reasonably aligned, albiet a slight bit forward. Motion is trouble-free. It does comes within a hair of the front fender though.

The mid-way stop no longer catches.

I thought of removing the fender and wacking the area back. But.. not sure I want to tackle fender removal.

How would you approach this issue?

Old 03-16-2018, 02:15 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I would take the the door panel off and look at the inner structure of the door and push it back out. The A pillar looks like it didn't move , you need to recreate the accident in reverse. Or unbolt the door and hook onto the hinges with a slidehammer . as a last resort, shim the striker out until you find a door at swap meet or eBay.... Or here..
Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I never thought of the damage possibly in the door itself. Amazing what you don't see when it's right in front of you lol
Old 03-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

How do you remove the door itself? On closer inspection, compared to the other side, I think the hinges are bent slightly--that is, where the pin is it's no longer 90degrees.

I'd like to take the door off, the hinges off, and straighten them.

Internet searching for "Porsche 944 door removal" seems to only bring up door *panel* removal. To get the door off, do I have to remove that? How do you get the pins out?

Old 03-19-2018, 11:29 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

First pull the wires from under the dash that go to the door they are almost directly by the relay\fuse box. Obviously on the under side. Get them fished thorough one at a time until all connections are severed. Then undo the Allen head for the door damper and then the 4 bolts on the A pillar. I usually install a floor jack under the door so it doesn't fall down when removing the bolts . you want to keep the wires in the door. Trust me on that... Good luck. And if you really really can't get your door squared away I might have one laying around. I was thinking of going to the ucr region tech session that Rodger is organizing later... Or drive your car across the border unbolt the door and bolt a new one on...?? I will also be going to Hershey
Old 03-22-2018, 10:18 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I used to be a UCR member years ago but I let it slide. Hershey looks good though.

Might work on the door this weekend. Right now, trying to get DME issue resolved!!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I used to be a UCR member years ago but I let it slide. Hershey looks good though.

Might work on the door this weekend. Right now, trying to get DME issue resolved!!

Quick Reply: Advice on door issue