Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

RE71R heat cycle fall off

Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE71R heat cycle fall off

I changed down a class this year, and am now running RE71R's instead of Hoosier R7's. I found out how they behave when "heat cycled out" this weekend, WOW is it sudden, more so even than Hoosiers.
I ran three San Diego region AXs on this set (our layouts would be considered short course road racing anywhere else, top of 3rd gear is common, sometimes even 4th gear is used).
The first event - I finished 3rd top time of the day in a field of about100. Second event they weren't as good, but I still managed 6th or 7th out of 90. The third event they were still working in first and second practice (6 laps each plus a few "loaner laps" where I let my - very fast - friend try the car.
Now for timed laps - and they SUCKED, when my buddy ran a few laps that was the last heat cycle, and they fell off a cliff in between. Doing the sideways worm dance in every corner I finished 17th, my worst finish in ten years!
BTW, there is about 40% of tread depth left
Old 03-14-2018, 01:40 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
I changed down a class this year, and am now running RE71R's instead of Hoosier R7's. I found out how they behave when "heat cycled out" this weekend, WOW is it sudden, more so even than Hoosiers.
I ran three San Diego region AXs on this set (our layouts would be considered short course road racing anywhere else, top of 3rd gear is common, sometimes even 4th gear is used).
The first event - I finished 3rd top time of the day in a field of about100. Second event they weren't as good, but I still managed 6th or 7th out of 90. The third event they were still working in first and second practice (6 laps each plus a few "loaner laps" where I let my - very fast - friend try the car.
Now for timed laps - and they SUCKED, when my buddy ran a few laps that was the last heat cycle, and they fell off a cliff in between. Doing the sideways worm dance in every corner I finished 17th, my worst finish in ten years!
BTW, there is about 40% of tread depth left
That's too bad, one of the main things I always liked about those "extreme summer" street tires was the fact that they didn't heat cycle out---I would always run them on the track almost until cords showed.

I had one set of the RE71Rs on my 951 when the tire was first released and they were great. I used them for part of a season and they wore out before they heat cycled out (used on Willow Springs, Streets of Willow, Buttonwillow). They did get horrendously noisy during street driving, though, which even my current set of Pirelli Trofeo Rs does not.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange you got so few sessions out of them. One of the local autocross veterans told me he figured he'd essentially get a full season ie 8 or 9 full days on his otherwise stock Golf R, if I remember correctly. Our skid pad at the airport is pretty smooth too though. I haven't run a set yet but I'd think a Golf R would be harder on tires vs a 951.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:58 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience, and I sure hope it's an outlier, because I just received a set yesterday that I will mount on my new wheels as soon as they arrive. I've heard nothing but great things about these tires (other than that they don't last long, which is typical of their class), so I'm hopeful.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:42 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mileage may vary lol
In my case I'm driving at a flat out sprint trying to beat the GT-3's and GT-4's that are in my class. My car with driver weighs 2998, makes ~300 at the wheels, and I only have 255's on it. In other words, the tires, especially the rears are getting a serious hurt put on them so short life isn't a surprise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RE71R heat cycle fall off