Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch Pedal behaviour and.. carpet stop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:51 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal behaviour and.. carpet stop?

I have installed a new clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. Looking closely at my clutch pedal opreation, I notice two things:

1. The pedal travels aprox. 1.5” before the release lever begins moving, as seen through the inspection window.

I have no idea what the 3mm free play is suppose to feel like; with hand action, there is an initial hard effort to overcome and get the pedal moving—maybe 1mm play there—then the 1.5” soft travel before actual release movement. The foot only feels the soft travel

The release lever appears to travel the required 15mm. All sound good?

2. There is a hole in the carpet where the pedal hits. Behind the carpet, it's hollow. Is there supposed to be a hard stop there that I'm perhaps missing? I can't feel where it would screw into though?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:03 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Nevermind about the clutch free play; this video shows the motion perfectly... fast forward to 12:14

And.. clearly in this video there is no stop at the carpet for the clutch pedal. Odd that mine has made a hole in the carpet.. and the carpet doesn't rest up against the metal behind it
Old 03-15-2018, 01:25 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you have too much free play, simple adjustment, as for the hole behind the clutch pedal as a "hard stop", I do not recall that ever being a thing but that's just me
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Yeah, I don't see any stoppers in photos online. Odd... the end of the pedal is pretty short angled
Old 03-16-2018, 10:28 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I adjusted and yes, it's pretty easy. With my son helping, I was able to both feel the play and watch the fork movement at the inspection hole.

I didn't want the clutch to even twitch during free play; it was kinda tricky to get a decent amount of play yet keep the fork from showing sign of contact.

I think I got in the 3-5mm range. I would imagine it would be easier to feel with the pedal helper spring disconnected; that thing puts a lot of tension as it rotates during the free play initial effort
Old 04-22-2018, 10:36 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Just wanted to update this for the sake of posterity

Driving the car for the first time, after about 30km the pedal became pretty hard / stiff. Though the clutch wasn't slipping, the pedal felt uncomfortably hard; and, the clutch started grabbing very high.

I spent much time going over all I could find on "porsche 944 clutch pedal free play". I thought I would add another description on what I eventually settled on with yet another re-adjustment; perhaps my explanation may help those like me who remained confused after all that research.

In the video I made below, I take note of the brake pedal "free play"--it's about 2-3mm, and since there's no spring attached to the pedal, it's nice and easy to feel.

For the clutch pedal, this time I played with a large range of adjustment, threading the rod quite far in both directions. I noticed that at one point, the rod got very stiff. At another piont (ie. moving away from the master cylinder), the rod got very wiggly.

Clearly, as the rod contacts the "cup" or whatever it's called in the MC, it stiffens up. So, I threaded it away till it got wiggly again, and I could now feel the difference between this "free play" and the "easy force" part of the pedal's travel, which is the first couple of inches.

It kinda feels like 2 free play areas; the first, a super-short one that is easily missed (or non-existent if adjustment is too tight), and the second a fair bit of easier travel before the spring turns and pushes downward--which ironically gets heavier (like it's the real working part of the clutch movement).

I think lots of people are mistaking this second part for "free play". If you don't feel a few mm (3mm) initial play, then the slightly easier drop, then the heavier push, I think you don't have the recommended free play.

This initial 3mm is very hard to determine as you are also overcoming the initial spring and pivot movement. In this video, I show both this initial play, the second "play" (the point where the clutch fork is actually starting to move), and the full depression. Notice that the initial play is roughly equal to the brake pedal free play.

I've been driving around all day and the clutch pedal hasn't changed. Looking at the inspection hole while someone pushes the clutch, I measure pretty much exactly 15mm travel. My new clutch measures 22mm from edge of the hole to tip of clutch fork back (WSM says 18mm new with wear limit of 34mm). It's hard to measure.. I spent a lot of time on this. Not sure what it means that I'm a little greater than 18mm.. but the drive feel is pretty good.

It now feels very light and catches very low. The feel is much like my other two manual cars (Kia and Mazda), which is to say, pretty normal. The posts I read about 944 clutches being heavy I don't think are correct; it was only heavy when misadjusted, to which it got much heavier and stiff after initial use.
The following users liked this post:
Tom924S (03-04-2024)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:26 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Dan your travel in your pedals are good. If anything I would replace the plastic bushings and the metal ones at the top of the shaft for both of the pedals if you have major OCD issues. Many of us have the same issue so it's all good. I can't locate the plastic ones but some here I'm sure can help. Found them.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F221566272978
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222784184228
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192074380294

Last edited by Humboldtgrin; 04-23-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I like how the metal bushings are even for the Boxster.... cool carry-over part to modern era lol
Old 03-04-2024, 12:23 PM
Tom924S
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
https://youtu.be/pl3b4qC600E

I've been driving around all day and the clutch pedal hasn't changed. Looking at the inspection hole while someone pushes the clutch, I measure pretty much exactly 15mm travel. My new clutch measures 22mm from edge of the hole to tip of clutch fork back (WSM says 18mm new with wear limit of 34mm). It's hard to measure.. I spent a lot of time on this. Not sure what it means that I'm a little greater than 18mm.. but the drive feel is pretty good.

It now feels very light and catches very low. The feel is much like my other two manual cars (Kia and Mazda), which is to say, pretty normal. The posts I read about 944 clutches being heavy I don't think are correct; it was only heavy when misadjusted, to which it got much heavier and stiff after initial use.
I spent 1-2 hours bleeding the clutch using various techniques: jacking up the back of the car so the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder faces up a bit, motive pressure bleeder while also playing with the pedal pushing down and pulling up, then pushing back the slave rod several times also instructed by the factory manual to push back air that may trapped in the slave with the reservoir open, then motive pressure bleeder again, etc. 1-2 liters of brake fluid got pushed through.

Final result is the same as in the video: 3mm free play then a bit longer travel with light resistance then comes the real pushing but still pretty easy and catches very low, seems to engage and disengage normally. New clutch installed along with pressure plate, fork bearings, etc. I don't expect it to be stiff and tough to push down the pedal either..

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal behaviour and.. carpet stop?