Need shortblock and/or advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 11:31 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Bill

From the picture, I see an awful lot of carbon build-up on the piston. I would bet with that much carbon on the piston dome, there is also some on the rings. Carbon is just like sand, especially on aluminum bores.

Carbon occurs from incomplete or improper combustion. Like the grandma that only drives 1 mile to the store and back. When the engine is cold, fuel is enrichened to aid drivability. If all that rich mixture is not burned, you get carbon deposits. So Dan ask yourself, do I drive like a grandma at times? Short trips that do not allow the engine to warm. How is your fuel ratio? running rich. Do you use additives to reduce carbon (Chevron Techtron)?

As stated so often on this board, a proper fuel curve keeps a lot of nasty gremlins away.

Bill, I missed your message, otherwise I would most definatly have responded.

I don't know, do I drive like a Gramma? I doubt it. The car is just used for track and autocross. Unfortunalty, the air/fuel is probably off. The Dyno day was an eye opener. I thought I was way too rich and turned out that I was way too lean. After tweaking it a bit, it ended up too much on the rich side. Not wanting to be a dyno hog, I left it at that. Now I wish I spent some time getting it right. Wide band someday...

I always use Chevron or 76 race gas. Now that I have a water injection installed, I hope it will clear up carbon deposits. If I pull the pistons out and change the rings, I take care of it then, but otherwise, it will be a token cleaning. I have the car up in the air to pull the pan and change the rod bearings.

I'll ask my Son if I drive like a Grandma. I am after all, from Pasidena...
Old 01-07-2004, 12:06 AM
AlexE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MarcBaker27
doesn't the one piece #1 main bearing acts as the dowel at the front,
I would think so.....

And the 'Case for the missing dowel' although fascinating reading as it is does not sound like the 'magic bullet' that it may be made out to be for good old #2 failing.

If the design was such a catastrophic blunder even with 2 dowels it would not hold.

Quick Reply: Need shortblock and/or advice