Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: please boycot Insight (insight.com / 800-insight)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 06:30 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: please boycot Insight (insight.com / 800-insight)

Below is a copy of an email I just sent to several of the people I am trying to deal with to straighten out a SIMPLE order gone wrong, and I mean wrong in a BIG way. Last I checked, the way mail order or web order stuff worked was, you called or visited a web site, placed an order, and got the order. If anything comes up (or if you just get curious re: progress) you track said order, either with the shipper, or with the carrier if it's left the shipper. But I guess that is too simple for some people (f***ing idiots at Insight for example).

Subject:_ order #(order # deleted for forum posting) - please reply or call me ASAP
Date:_ December 26, 2003 5:08:55 AM EST
To:_ _ (email deleted for forum posting)
Cc:_ _ (email deleted for forum posting), (email deleted for forum posting)

Dear Sirs,

According to the tracking number my mother (Mary Moffitt) sent me - (tracking# deleted for forum posting)_ - the redirected package with my SCSI cable is scheduled to be delivered on the 29th to whitefish MT - the exact opposite of what needs to happen, plus, that's next monday???

(tracking# deleted for forum posting)_ In Transit
Resched. Delivery:
Dec 29, 2003
Shipped to:
_WHITEFISH,_ MT,_ US
Service Type:
_NEXT DAY AIR

I want to preface this message with the fact that Rob, Matt and Devin been EXTREMELY helpful, and any strongly worded or angry thing said here are NOT directed toward Robert Baldwin or Devin Hawkins nor Matt McCarthy, who all went over and above to try and help me out._ BTW - I might have substituted Rob's name for having spoken to Matt McCarthy (or visa-versa) on one or more of the following occasions (honestly, I spoke to so many people so many times over the past week, I could have lost track of who / when). To explain the details of this absolutely disastrous experience:

I ordered a 10M HP SCSI cable item# c7522a LAST Friday, the 19th in the early afternoon EST. I was promised it was to be delivered via FedEx Saturday Delivery by my sales rep (I believe her name was Tammy?) and that I would receive a sales confirmation with a tracking # via email._ She then tells me that she can't give me an order number but that she will make sure to call me back with it as well as email it to me._ I receive no such call.

Saturday the 20th rolls around and no package. FINALLY I get an email, but not with Tammy's name, some Sean person._ EVERYTHING that could be wrong on the order IS._ The item is being shipped to my BILLING address not the proper one in Rochester (despite confirming that 3 times with Tammy), the item is being sent via UPS not FedEx, and not saturday delivery either._ To top it off, it hasn't even shipped yet (it eventually went out Monday and arrived Tuesday, but we'll get to that)._ I call Insight and complain about these mistakes, at which point I'm told "there's nothing we can do to re-order the product until Monday, but we promise we'll cancel this messed-up order for you" -- which OBVIOUSLY did not happen (again see below)._ I place a 2nd order for the same product over the web while on the phone with the rep and both in it's notes and also with the customer service rep, I insist that I be called Monday first thing to resolve this.

Monday rolls around, I get a call from a VERY helpful gentleman named Rob._ He apologized for the mishap and assures me that Insight will ship me a new cable that day and it will be here Tuesday._ Now - at this point, one thing which is not entirely Insight's fault (and ABSOLUTELY not Rob's fault) delays the order (I had included the wrong billing phone# by one digit in my notes), however, it DOES boil down to Insight's fault because the WRONG number was entered in the first place by Tammy, my sales rep (she entered my SHIPPING # as my BILLING #)._ Due to that, my cable does not ship, thus we get to Tuesday.

Tuesday afternoon, I call wondering where my cable is._ I am away from my computer when I do call, and ironically I get an email from Rob right around the time of my call stating the billing phone# is wrong (see above)._ That is straightened out, but in the evening I get a call from my mother (in Whitefish MT - at the billing address) saying a package has arrived from Insight via UPS Red._ She calls the next morning and has Devin send her (via email) a new shipping label to get the package to the proper address (me - rochester NY). This brings us to Wed.

On Wed, I call and again speak to Robert who finally realizes that there are now two orders floating around, so we cancel the 2nd one (order # deleted for forum posting)._ He also sees what I just saw, that there were 3 charges on my credit-card, one for the original item, one for it's shipping cost, then another STRANGE one for over $700 (the item itself was only $2xx)._ SUPPOSEDLY this is being fixed, I just want to make sure it is, and to also question/wonder how in the world you can get a $700+ order from a $22x item + s/h???

So that leaves us to where we are right now:

WHERE IS MY PRODUCT AND WHEN WILL IT BE DELIVERED????_ AND WHAT IS INSIGHT GOING TO DO TO MAKE UP FOR THIS ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE, UNPROFESSIONAL, AND FRANKLY, EMBARRASSING SITUATION???

I would appreciate if one or more of you PLEASE forward this email to your superior(s) - In addition, I DEMAND a refund for the entire shipping cost of my order, and would appreciate additional compensation for my time, telephone costs, my mother having to drive 45 minutes each way on Christmas Eve to drop this thing off at UPS, and so forth - IE, a partial refund on the cost of this product, or a SIGNIFICANT gift-certificate or credit toward a future purchase (*HINT HINT* A CHANCE TO RETAIN ME AS A CUSTOMER *HINT HINT*)._ BTW - this could have all been avoided if it wasn't for Insight's lack of integration between web and phone orders, the lack of the ability to properly track orders simply by entering an order # on the web site, and also the fact that several times when I called (as well as when my mother called) my orders and customer information couldn't even be FOUND (despite providing web ref #s, billing AND shipping phone#s AND addresses) does not reflect well on a company such as Insight._ I was given excuses of switching order systems and so on, but the end user doesn't care about excuses._ The end users wants results, that's IT. To be honest, it's PATHETIC that a company so large as to have a FOOTBALL BOWL GAME named after them can't provide (reliably) the extremely simple services that so very MANY smaller (and larger) corporations have given me in the past, that is, the ability to place an order either via the phone or web, track that order (again via phone and web), and get it as and when expected._ Anyhow, to recap the situation as to what needs to happen tomorrow (aka Friday Dec. 26 2003):

I need to be contacted re: where/when my cable will be delivered (it had BETTER be tomorrow i.e. Fri. Dec 26, in Roch. NY)
I need to be contacted re: how insight plans to apologize / make up for this bungled order
I need to be contacted re: what insight is doing about the erroneous charges to my credit card (otherwise, I'll be forced to take it up with my VISA company and dispute the charges).

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter._ Robert, Matt and Devin, thank you all immensely for putting up with a very frustrated customer and going the extra mile on your behalves to try and fix this.

Sincerely,

David A. Moffitt
(postal address deleted for forum posting)
So yeah, not that most of you guys probably order a TON of IT stuff, but please boycot Insight until you hear from me that this has been (satisfactorily) resolved.

I figure, trying to deal with them as a reasonable customer has gotten me nowhere, I might as well enlist the power of the internet / grass-roots efforts to teach a company that you can't treat someone this way (even if I am joe-average-consumer aka not ordering 500 x $2000 computers, this is BS). Those who know me know that I'm not a trigger-happy person (in fact, it takes a LOT to **** me off) and I typically don't even LIKE these kind of measures, but I'm at wit's-end. I need this stupid cable so I can continue work on editing my BFA thesis film @ RIT (Porsche Clash 2003 @ Watkins Glen - documentary) and they've been d***ing me around for over a week now.

edit: removed/censored a bit of my languge, sorry. i'm just really upset about this

Quick Reply: OT: please boycot Insight (insight.com / 800-insight)