VEMS Startup - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

VEMS Startup

Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 AM
gpr8er
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Ewell View Post
Installed the Clewett trigger kit only to find out VEMs did not detect the new style magnetic sensor. Tried making a trigger log and got nada. So after about two weeks going back and forth with Peep he found the issue with a 2.7k resistor used for the stock speed sensors that needed to be bypassed in order for the new Clewett mag sensor to function. The fix was to run a jumper/bypass wire from EC-27 to an open spot next to the resistor and that was the ticket to getting the engine to fire. Timed the trigger wheel with a timing light to TDC, but the engine still is a bit hard to start needing throttle help to keep running and after some time does idle on its own. Throttle response is some what delayed and unnatural. I tried following Peeps instructions on auto-tune, but could not locate "Closed loop EGO control" under settings. I'm really feeling inadequate muddling through VEMS not knowing much of anything when it comes to tuning or debugging the software. If there is anyone in Northern Ut that has gone the rounds of tuning VEMS I would really like to hear from you. Or if any one can add tip tricks and advice to tuning VEMS on this thread I would greatly appreciate it.
David, was there a resolution here?
Old 11-18-2018, 05:04 PM
nick.cfrancis
User

David,
I just installed a LR push clutch with the scalloped flywheel on my 951 running VEMS. Were you able to find a solution to your issue?
Thanks!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:51 PM
nick.cfrancis
User

Originally Posted by nick.cfrancis View Post
David,
I just installed a LR push clutch with the scalloped flywheel on my 951 running VEMS. Were you able to find a solution to your issue?
Thanks!
I reached out to David Ewell via email and was able to confirm today that the Clewett trigger wheel with the 36-1 tooth setup will resolve the startup issue running a scalloped flywheel on a 951. David did mention that running the Clewett trigger would require running a jumper wire on the VEMS main board and recommended contacting Peep for additional details.

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?mai...products_id=30
Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM
Dave951
User

Originally Posted by nick.cfrancis View Post
David did mention that running the Clewett trigger would require running a jumper wire on the VEMS main board and recommended contacting Peep for additional details.
I've talked to peep about this and he has said that a jumper is not required. FYI, The mag sensor from Clewett uses a weatherpack style connection; so if you want to use the majority of the existing wiring be prepared swap the end connector for a factory harness compatible 3pin Bosch EV1 male style end.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:10 AM
nick.cfrancis
User

Originally Posted by Dave951 View Post
I've talked to peep about this and he has said that a jumper is not required. FYI, The mag sensor from Clewett uses a weatherpack style connection; so if you want to use the majority of the existing wiring be prepared swap the end connector for a factory harness compatible 3pin Bosch EV1 male style end.
Ok! Thank you for the info! I'm still hoping to use the factory bosch reference sensor. I bought a female harness plug and pins from Rennbay to extend the harness.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VEMS Startup

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: