Old 02-25-2018, 10:56 AM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Car looks absolutely stunning.
Thanks man

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
I have seen this car many times in person and can tell you that you got a great car. I absolutely love that car and you bought it from a great previous owner. By the way, I saw you driving back home on that rainy Sunday!!!! Good luck with it.

i have a few photos of my car sitting in front of your new baby.
Haha. That's cool. Do you live in Charlotte? The car is awesome. Can you post up the pictures you have of the car? I'm trying to collect as much info as I can of it's history.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:19 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I do live in the Charlotte area and I am happy to post some photos later this week.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

I do live in the Charlotte area and I am happy to post some photos later this week.
Awesome. Thanks man
Old 02-25-2018, 10:13 PM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Well one of the backlights in the gauge cluster went out, so I pulled the panel off, and removed the head unit, and was greeting by this rat's nest.

I am going to try and clean up the wiring, fix the light ,and install the new head unit before I head out on a road trip next weekend.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - great looking car! Congrats on the purchase! Looks very similar to my white 91 S2... Love those wheels on your car and the yellow fog lights!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:25 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You can see your car in the background of the attached photo. This was the last picture of my car with the Cup wheels on it.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 AM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

You can see your car in the background of the attached photo. This was the last picture of my car with the Cup wheels on it.
Nice. I recognize that house. haha. Great looking car.

Originally Posted by Josh B
Wow - great looking car! Congrats on the purchase! Looks very similar to my white 91 S2... Love those wheels on your car and the yellow fog lights!
We are twins. haha
Old 02-28-2018, 01:07 AM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Well I tore into the car last night. It looks like a proper project car now. I got the dash all apart, and pulled the switch assembly off to take a good look at it.

I started to compare the clock spring to the #8010 hub adapter. It pretty much exactly the same, except the factory clock spring sits deeper in the steering column switch unit. I am going to try and order a horn switch from a non-airbag car (Horn Switch), and press it into my airbag switch assembly. This way I can use my cover, and the stalks will be the same.

I went ahead and wired in a connector to the factory wiring harness so that when I press the horn switch into the steering column switch assembly, the horn will be powered. I cut the connector off the horn power wire, and connected it to a blank pin that I had.

Tidied up the harness

I mounted my Jwest eccentric spacer as well. I can't wait to try this out. I should have the horn switch on Friday. I will then get the car all buttoned up before headed out Friday afternoon for a short little weekend road trip.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:49 AM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

I cleaned up the wiring on the back of the gauge cluster tonight with a connector I had laying around the garage. I wired it into factory harness. I'll finish up the radio tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Well, it was a mad rush to get everything done before I left, I got did get the new radio installed, the wiring harness cleaned up, and the new wheel installed. There are still some issues left to figure out, but for now, I am happy with it.

Labeling the radio harness for the new ISO connectors. Took some figurin out as, the pin on the new radio is actually wrong and the ignition and and constant 12v+ pins have to be swapped. I went through 2 fuses trying to figure that out.

New radio harness plugged in. The factory antennae jack doesn't fit in the back of the Continental head unit, so I need to do some diggin to figure out what my options are.

New head unit installed. It looks way better than the old unit. I did manage to order the non-bluetooth version of the head unit, so I will need to order the right one and return this one. At least the wiring is done?

New wheel and head unit in. I have tried to make the #8010 Momo hub adapter work, but the tab on the back is just too short, and doesn't consistently trip the turn signal when turning. I will be returning the #8010 and ordering a #7004. The shifter is next on the list.

I hit up US-129 on the way home. The did great, and it was a blast to drive. The Jwest eccentric adapter is amazing BTW. So much more leg room, and I can see the gauges. It took a little bit to get used to the new arch of the wheel in tight turns, but after a couple of minutes, you don't even notice it. I highly recommend it to anyone over 6'.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:40 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts

I love your car, it has all the right details.

What shifter rod is that ?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did you source the head unit? It looks period correct compared to most of the ones sold today.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ealoken
I love your car, it has all the right details.

What shifter rod is that ?
Thanks man. The shifter rod is the Lindsey Racing unit.

Originally Posted by Porvair
Where did you source the head unit? It looks period correct compared to most of the ones sold today.
The head unit is available in Germany, but you can buy it here Continental TR7412UB-OR
Old 03-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Clainhart3- that is one gorgeous car.

Best of luck in your modifications.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:52 AM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Will I figured out that the Continental head unit comes with an adapter installed for another kind of antenna plug. I removed that adapter, plugged in the factory antennae plug, and now I can listen to the radio. Hooray.

Quick Reply: Clainhart3's New 951