Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clainhart3's New 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:43 PM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grgallo
. And to check production number check the last 4 digits of your VIN, mine is 0492. So, I'm 492/1985.
201 on mine.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Beautiful car. Love the wheel too.
If it was mine, for the exterior I would:

This:

http://www.americaninternationalraci...59246&page=137

and this:

http://www.gt-racing.com/944-924-rear-bumper-part-230/
Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 PM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by audisport
Thanks! Mine are the same offsets. Previous owner of them painted the centers black though and I'm tearing them apart to refinish in silver/grey.

Any chance you think a 245 tire would fit up front?
Audisport, I don't think that a 245 would fit. The 235s pretty much take up all the available space.

Originally Posted by grgallo
Nice Car, can't help you on the Momo, I have a Personal Neo Grinta, love it, my '87 911 Coupe has a Momo Type 36 and I messed up because I did not photo the back before installing but I recall imprints with the Type # ... with regard to the airbag, there's a part used in the Cup cars that allows everything to work (horn) etc. And to check production number check the last 4 digits of your VIN, mine is 0492. So, I'm 492/1985.
0674 on mine.

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
So you need a non airbag windshield wiper/cruise control stalk. I’ll post some pics. And the brown wire that goes to the black connection on the airbag clock switch is the horn positive power switch. The connector has to be cut on the car side. Then that horn wire has to be connected to the back side of the copper slide of the non airbag stalk. So the Cooper slide will have power to it. Then the ground from the horn button has to be tapped into the metal hub, or run under one of the screws from the wheel to the hub. Make sure it is bare metal. It’s real hard to explain. Pm me if needed and I’ll try to talk ya through it.
Clock switch

Non airbag stalk. (What ya need)

Your present stalk.
Ahhhh. That's what I was thinking I needed. I shall source one of those. Right now, the turn signals don't shut off when I re-center the wheel. Will that part correct that problem as well?

Thanks again everyone
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice car. Have fun with it. You have already started down the slippery slope.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:52 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clainhart3
Audisport, I don't think that a 245 would fit. The 235s pretty much take up all the available space.

0674 on mine.

Ahhhh. That's what I was thinking I needed. I shall source one of those. Right now, the turn signals don't shut off when I re-center the wheel. Will that part correct that problem as well?

Thanks again everyone
Yes, with the 7004 hub it will. Remember when you put on the non airbag stalk, you have to adjust it just right for the signal cancellation to work right and nothing to bind when turning.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Yes, with the 7004 hub it will. Remember when you put on the non airbag stalk, you have to adjust it just right for the signal cancellation to work right and nothing to bind when turning.
Gotcha. If I have hub #8010 will it work?

Thanks

Clayton
Old 02-22-2018, 01:42 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Gotcha. If I have hub #8010 will it work?

Clayton
I don’t think so. Those are for pre 85 cars. Need 7004
Old 02-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

I don’t think so. Those are for pre 85 cars. Need 7004
Interesting. So I have a 8010 on the car right now. The splines are the same, and the depth also appears to be correct. It all bolted together and fits up fine. I have read that the splines are different between the early and late cars, but the 8010 works just fine on my '89. Maybe this car doesn't have the original steering column in it? I just ordered a non-airbag clock spring, which should be here early next week, so I will bolt it all together and see what happens. I am guessing the that clocking tab on the back of the adapter may be different between the 7004 and the 8010, but I can grind that to fit if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Clayton

Clayton
Old 02-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Interesting. So I have a 8010 on the car right now. The splines are the same, and the depth also appears to be correct. It all bolted together and fits up fine. I have read that the splines are different between the early and late cars, but the 8010 works just fine on my '89. Maybe this car doesn't have the original steering column in it? I just ordered a non-airbag clock spring, which should be here early next week, so I will bolt it all together and see what happens. I am guessing the that clocking tab on the back of the adapter may be different between the 7004 and the 8010, but I can grind that to fit if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Clayton

Clayton
right. I think the part that is different is the signal canceling tab. Also, when ya get the new steering wheel stalk, make sure the copper ring on the hub contacts the Cooper horn power spring on the stalk. Don’t know if the ring is a different diameter on the 2 different hubs.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:07 AM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Adding some more parts tomorrow. Hoping to weld the cat in and fix up the shifter and shift linkages.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Smudo
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

Good looking car! I would consider different turbo if the car is used on the street. Super 61 is quite big and spools slow and late in the rpm range - the right size turbo would make a big difference to the drivability of the car.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Smudo
Good looking car! I would consider different turbo if the car is used on the street. Super 61 is quite big and spools slow and late in the rpm range - the right size turbo would make a big difference to the drivability of the car.
For sure. I can see a new turbo in this car's future. Been researching k26/8 or a Gt28/30. I think I'll drive it for a while, work out some other bugs and go fill stand alone before a new bobo. Something smaller would definitely help though. It's pretty laggy.
​​​​
Old 02-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Clainhart3
Intermediate

Well, I got a good bit done on the car today. I finally got under the car, and I was pleased to see that it's in really good shape. There are a few little leaks here and there, but nothing crazy. First up was to replace the cat. Well, at least I thought it was a cat...

The exhaust dropped off really easy. Time to take a peak.

And, it's gutted. Makes sense why it wouldn't pass emissions.

Gutted cat off.

Luckily the new cat was exactly the same length as the old cat, so the swap was easy.

It slipped right on, and bolted back up with no issues. It quieted down the car a little bit which was nice. Now onto the shifter linkage.

I got the Only944 shifter linkage and short shifter. It's a nice looking piece, comes with everything you need for the install, and is very reasonably priced for how nice it is. Make sure you order the shortened 11mm wrench. It did help a bunch

Comparing old to new.

Old and new shifter linkage.

All bolted together. It shifts soooo much nicer now. I highly recommend this piece.

After I was done at the shop, I took the car over to the emissions station and it passed without issue. Now to pick out a plate...

I got the car all cleaned up. That's it for this weekend. More next week.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:42 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Car looks absolutely stunning.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I have seen this car many times in person and can tell you that you got a great car. I absolutely love that car and you bought it from a great previous owner. By the way, I saw you driving back home on that rainy Sunday!!!! Good luck with it.

i have a few photos of my car sitting in front of your new baby.

Quick Reply: Clainhart3's New 951