Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

88' Turbo S - Runs great, except...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 AM
arains44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update!

So running with my buddies' dme, no issues. Absolutely perfect. Swapping back to my dme, the car will still intermittently die (just as before, engine stops running, but dash lights stay on etc.). Additionally, I have not found the car to stumble, or cut without dying as it did before doing the speed and ref sensors.

So what's the best move to affordably repair/replace a dme, and is it worth doing the lindsey racing chip while I'm doing it? It seems like to me the car sat for a long time and just needs some attention! Thanks again for all of your responses!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by arains44
Quick update!

So running with my buddies' dme, no issues. Absolutely perfect. Swapping back to my dme, the car will still intermittently die (just as before, engine stops running, but dash lights stay on etc.). Additionally, I have not found the car to stumble, or cut without dying as it did before doing the speed and ref sensors.

So what's the best move to affordably repair/replace a dme, and is it worth doing the lindsey racing chip while I'm doing it? It seems like to me the car sat for a long time and just needs some attention! Thanks again for all of your responses!

With any luck (and probability) your DME has some cracked solder joints. The main connector plug has large solder joints on the printed circuit board that carry electrical signals but also, unfortunately, tend to anchor the connector to the circuit board. The result, especially after 30 years, if often for those joints to crack and create intermittent problems like the one you have. If you are handy with a soldering iron and have a good eye (or good magnifying glass) -- or know someone who is -- it's a fairly easy DIY job. If something more complicated is going bad on the DME, then there is a place in Florida called ecudoctors.com that can rebuild yours or exchange it for a rebuilt.

As for the chip, I'd get the car all sorted before modifying it. But search here first before choosing a chip if you go that route. I'm partial to Vitesse Racing's software.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Originally Posted by arains44
I bought it from the guy in FL. Properly represented car, it's in amazing shape for 160,000 miles. Only issues that have cropped up have been from it sitting for too long. The old coolant was probably never changed, sat for 5-10 years, turned acidic and started eating the HG..
Cool, sounds like you're getting it sorted out... hope you get many more miles and smiles out of it!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:56 PM
arains44
Advanced

I think I'm gonna send my DME off to the ECU doctors. Does anyone have any other recommendations? They seem to be pretty credible, but I ran into some issues with an ECU from my truck and a place like this a while back. Just want to make sure they're reputable!

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:45 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've used ECU Doctors to check out my DME and they did a good job. They found nothing wrong and called to tell me of their results, then returned my DME. My problem later turned out to be a loose positive battery (small) cable connection, giving intermittent power to the DME,
Old 02-19-2018, 11:01 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I've used ECU Doctors several times and they've always done good work, quickly. They will even talk it over with you first to make sure you're not wasting money. Totally reputable... Some of the 944 parts places online offer rebuilds too, but those come from ECU Doctors too... There's was also a reproduction aftermarket DME someone made up (Focus 9), which seems to get good reviews, but not sure how easy those are to come by these days. If you are handy with a soldering iron or have a friend nearby who is, it's definitely worth checking for cracked solder joints before doing the full rebuild --you have a better than even chance of fixing it yourself for free...

Quick Reply: 88' Turbo S - Runs great, except...