Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Flashers Issue - one side faster than the other

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:18 PM
coonabarabran
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashers Issue - one side faster than the other

LHD 1986 Turbo. The left side flashes fast and the right side at a normal rate - that is,the same rate as the emergency flashers.

When you activate either flasher, the parking lights come on, not flashing, but the whole time the flashers are engaged.

I've replaced all bulbs in parking and flashers as well as cleaned all bulb bases and sides and also cleaned all earthpoints.

Can anyone suggest what I might try next?
Old 01-17-2018, 09:18 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by coonabarabran
LHD 1986 Turbo. The left side flashes fast and the right side at a normal rate - that is,the same rate as the emergency flashers.

When you activate either flasher, the parking lights come on, not flashing, but the whole time the flashers are engaged.

I've replaced all bulbs in parking and flashers as well as cleaned all bulb bases and sides and also cleaned all earthpoints.

Can anyone suggest what I might try next?
90% of the time it’s a bulb. Are you sure ALL the bulbs are flashing on the left side and that one bulb is not out? I mean physically check rather than relying on the indicator on the dash. The other thing that can cause this sometimes is LED bulbs but you said you changed them all. Also clean your grounds as they can cause many spurious issues. Finally swap out the relay, it’s a simple circuit so not much else to check.

“When you activate either flasher, the parking lights come on” - This is normal on most all German cars, it’s a safety feature when the car is parked curbside overnight.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:24 PM
coonabarabran
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't swapped the relay so will try that, I was beginning to suspect the switch itself on the steering column - Ill check all the bulbs again as well.

Normal on German cars, did not know that .. thanks, at least I can stop chasing that one.

Quick Reply: Flashers Issue - one side faster than the other