Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake Pads, where to buy??..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads, where to buy??..

I have a '86 944 Turbo and need to replace my brake pads on my car soon. I just have it as a everyday driver, no racing at tracks or anything like that. So where would be a good place to get pad for my car? I have done brakes on other cars before but is there anything special to keep in mind when doing the brakes on my Porsche? What all do I need, just the pads or what?
Old 12-17-2003, 02:06 PM
jim944s2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are in for a treat, there's no brake pads that are easier to change. For street pads and auto-cross I like Ferodo's Street pad. I've ordered them from GPR ( www.gprparts.com/ )for about $55 an axle. They're a bit dirty, but they have very good pedal feel and they hold up great for auto-cross too. When you look at the brake caliper, you'll see a big 'cross-spring', you just compress it in the center (vertically) w/ some pliers, the top will come out of its notch and the spring will flip down. The pads just come out the front (no removing the caliper). The wear sensor wires are sort of a pain, but like I just posted in another area, you can clip the sensor wire, wind the two wires together, seal then end, and no more hassling w/ that. Just check your pads for wear like you would normally do. An auto-xer I know (national champ guy) told me that sensor wire removal trick.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:49 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, changing pads on these cars is a piece of cake (relatively speaking). You will have to compress the pad and piston back to get the pad out. I use a pair of channel locks for that. Use a piece of cardboard or something where you press on the caliper to protect the paint.

While you're at it, check the rotor thickness. I'm not sure what the wear limit is for your '86. Replacing the front rotors is easy, rears are a little more difficult.

For the street, I use Metalmaster pads. Seem to work fine and they're ~$35 per axle. I've never used them on the track, but people say they're OK for light track duty.

Paragon Products sells them and they've got the best customer service I've experienced (and they're also a Rennlist sponsor).

Quick Reply: Brake Pads, where to buy??..