Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My first Dyno run

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:10 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Dyno run

I was able to get to the dyno today for the first time after last months rebuild. The pull was at 16 psi, A/F ratio 12.3, and pump gas ( 93 octane ). The numbers I put down were 314.6 rwhp and 300.2 torque. So far I feel preaty good about the cars performance at 16 psi, although I think with a little more fine tuning I could have put down more. The next step wil be 17-18 psi and some race gas!

Old 12-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Great to hear it. Be sure to post those dyno charts at 18 PSI!

Have you seen that turbocharged Hayabusa running 18 on pump gas? It's is absolutely insane. Well, aside from that, is it possible to run 18 pounds on pump gas on our cars?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim - isnt that well below the claims for that kit? What are your expectations? Finally, could you not have accomplished the same power number with a MAF and a K-27 for far less money? Why race gas at 17-18PSI, Plenty of people here use that much boost on 93 Oct.? Just trying to get your impressions and as much feedback as possible. Not trying to **** on the parade.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:32 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Can't say that I have! Vitesse suggest that anything over 16 psi should be run with a higher octane fuel.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:32 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

What are you using for boost control? The way it looks you are not reaching full boost until after 4000RPM.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So we have a Vitesse Stage II at 16 psi,,,alright. Glad you got it down today. I know you made a few runs..early on you spooled up a bit early. Do you feel that if you started your last run(3600rpm) as your first run you would have had better control of the car as your runs progressed? I know this was your first trip to the dyno,,just curious. Without the heat soak of the last runs I think you would have easily hit 320. Congrats on a great street gas, everyday driver run. Just think,,your investment - there is no way to touch that kind of rwhp for the amount you have invested! Damn, we build a good engine, with a bit of help of course!

Now, about that switchable grey wire on the SMT6 for race gas and 18psi......... Matt, John Milledge suggest using more octane for anything over 14 psi, I am at 15psi on 93 at the moment,,turned it down for a while. As I increase back to 17psi I will add my 2.5 gallons of Xylene per tank.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Bret - (again) not trying to be a pisser but he could have obtained the same numbers from a K27-6 and a used MAF for a ton less than the kit. Could have bought a NEW MAF and K27-6 and make that much HP. I dont know what the Vitesse kit costs (I suppose I could look) but I bet it was a bit more than those parts. That is also the first dyno sheet I have seen where HP was higher than TQ.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

15psi MAX on pump gas..

Originally posted by jwl
Can't say that I have! Vitesse suggest that anything over 16 psi should be run with a higher octane fuel.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Oh now that Ski pointed out about the dyno run starting at 3600RPM that might be the problem with the boost coming on so late. Do you see full boost sooner on the street? Sorry for all the questions but this is one of the turbos on my list for when I swap mine out. It is nice to see someone follow through and put their car on a dyno after they change some stuff. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2003, 10:48 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Jim, which gear were you in? Do you have another graph where you started the run around 2400rpm? How many runs did you make prior to this run? Any heat soak?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt,,,I think a combination of things; Jims first dyno session, the guy in Corpus bought the dyno last year and has not had a whole lot of business, etc. I think the numbers would have been more,,as Jim and I were talking on the phone,,when he told me his first pull I told him he was in it too early. The extra fuel was killing his torque,,ie his last run of the day was his best - not your typical dyno pull for your last to be your best. So yes, I think the numbers would have been more; MAF and K27/chips...to achieve the A/F ratio he did on his first pull - No Way,,just IMHO. The Vitesse kit does what is says it will and remember, this engine is just over break in miles as he went to the dyno today, mainly to give everyone here a pull at 16 psi. The car has more there is no doubt,,his car is breaking the 255's loose on older pavement in second gear.

Anyway,,the SMT6 with software is a great tool. Matt,,how is your engine coming along?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:53 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

18 - 19 psi 92 octane
daily driver

but I don't usually get into full boost, just 6-10 psi daily
Old 12-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

It is coming, I get bored easily and spend too much time here :>) I think John has great product and I have seen how he handles himself, I consider him to be a good guy. I would just like to see more than that, it is nearly 100HP lower than the dyno chart (yes I know it was at much higher boost). The curves on the chart above dont look very good, though I do see what you are saying about the operation of the dyno, etc. Kit was 3K, more when you add the rest of the items needed, it just doesnt look like a great pull. I am sure with more time and sorting it will be very strong.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with the "tuning". I think Jim will get the car tuned for more. I only have experience with a Mustang Dyno so I'm curious to know about the dyno jet, do you input the weight of the car or is it just based on the acceleration of the drums? Actually, I was on the phone with Jim and Doug as the last run took place....I swear I thought I heard the rpm slip a moment,,like the tires spun for just a second...maybe it was the cellular. But you know, I can speak for tuning; as it took me several MONTHS to get the 282/291 (Mustang dyno) out of mine. Danno told me we would get the A/F right for a great run and he was right, we did.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:16 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Ski

>>not your typical dyno pull for your last to be your best<<

Nope. Not true.

There's very little heat soak if any on these cars I've found through my testing (which has consisted of hundreds of dyno pulls through the years).

The dyno shop more than likely had a fan that was blowing on the radiator & intercooler which create an easy 40mph wind+++

That dyno run was number 5. Not number 55 and even if it was, there power differences run to run won't be more than a couple of HP at most.

This has proven to be true on 105F days as well as 65F days.

The problem is not the ambient temperature (because the run is SAE corrected), not is it the fact that there where a whopping 4 previous dyno runs, nor is it the a/f ratios (if in fact there were 12.3:1).

I'm not sure what the smoothing factor was set at, but the run appears to be real smooth, which indicates that the ignition is in good shape, and the car is running fine.

The power is just not where one would think it would be at. This could be due to many other things like the head preparation (what's a MM head constitute?), the turbo, the ignition timing, etc..

TonyG

Quick Reply: My first Dyno run